So what do you call these things? I’ve heard so many names for them, I am not sure I can think of them all. Sweet rolls, sticky buns, carmel rolls. And when I was growing up, there was a similar sweet roll called a chelsea bun. Surely there are more names for this delicious cousin of the cinnamon roll, because there seem to be infinite variations. But I call them sticky buns and so this recipe shall be named too.
Back when I was creating my low carb Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Bread, I was already dreaming of this recipe. How could I not? I felt I was getting a better grasp on working with psyllium bread recipes and there I was, rolling up the dough like a big cinnamon roll. It just needed to be a little longer and to have some caramel and some pecans and it would be just the thing. And then I went ahead and made a savoury version with my low carb Pizza Rolls.
And of course I’d already nailed the low carb caramel sauce. What the heck was I waiting for? I honestly can’t say why it took me this long to bring you a low carb sticky bun recipe. Just too many other delicious things to make, I guess. But I finally put all the pieces together the other day, and they were delicious, as I knew they would be. Sweet pull-apart caramel pecan deliciousness.
And now I will stop talking so you can hightail it to the kitchen and make some of your own.
Low Carb Sticky Buns
- 1 Recipe Sugar-Free Caramel Sauce
- 3/4 cup pecan halves
- 2 tbsp Swerve Sweetener
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Recipe Multi-Purpose Low Carb Bread add 2 tbsp of Swerve to the dough along with the almond and coconut flour, if desired
- Prepare the caramel sauce as directed and pour into the bottom of a 8 or 9-inch round cake pan. Sprinkle with pecans.
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl, whisk together the Swerve and cinnamon.
- Make the dough as directed. (If adding some additional Swerve to the dough, add it in along with the almond and coconut flours).
- Turn dough out onto a large piece of parchment and top with another large piece of parchment. Roll out into a rectangle about 12 by 10 inches.
- Sprinkle with Swerve/cinnamon mixture. Starting at a long side, roll dough up tightly (use the edge of the parchment to help lift and roll the dough). Pinch seam closed.
- Cut into 12 equal portions and arrange in prepared baking pan. Bake 45 to 55 minutes, until rolls are well-browned and quite firm.
- Remove from oven and cover with a serving platter, then flip the whole pan and serving platter upside down. Remove cake pan. Serve hot, but be careful not to burn your fingers or mouth on that hot caramel sauce.
Saturated fatty acids: 8.26g
Total fat: 22.58g
Calories from fat: 203
Total dietary fiber: 6.58g