This grain-free Chocolate Granola makes a fabulous low carb breakfast. My review of The KetoDiet Cookbook.
I will be the first to admit that I hate doing cookbook reviews. Here’s the deal: I get at least 4 to 5 press releases for new cookbooks a week, most of which come with a request for me to review the book. If I accepted every cookbook review that came my way, I’d spend all my time making other people’s recipes and have no time for creating my own. And if I did that, I might as well rename the blog “All Day I Dream About Cookbooks”. Doesn’t have quite the same ring to it, now does it?
So I decided long ago only to review those cookbooks that I already know will be fantastic and that fit my audience’s needs to a T. And The KetoDiet Cookbook is exactly that. Written by my friend Martina Slajerova of The KetoDiet App and The KetoDiet Blog, I barely had to glance inside the pages to know it would be full of amazing low carb recipes for healthy living. I’ve always loved Martina’s recipes and I know she’s got a great spirit too. So this was exactly the sort of cookbook review I was happy to say yes to.
It really is a glorious cookbook, with over 150 recipes suitable for anyone on a low carb or ketogenic diet. Everything from breakfast to dinner to (my favourite) dessert. You aren’t going to go hungry with this cookbook in your hands! For this review, I considered making a meatball recipe or one of Martina’s awesome bread recipes. But my kids were craving cereal. I had run low on breakfast ideas for them and so the Chocolate Orange Granola seemed just the thing. Confession, though. I actually left out the orange zest this go round because I knew it would be a tougher sell for them. So I just made chocolate spiced granola, which they loved. LOVED! In fact, my son demanded that I make some again very soon. Which I will, of course. Happy to oblige, when it comes to healthy low carb breakfast recipes.
So if you are looking for your next low carb cookbook purchase, I highly recommend The KetoDiet Cookbook. It’s a shoo-in for any health-conscious cookbook collection.
Chocolate & Orange Spiced Granola
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup whey protein powder (unflavoured or chocolate)
- 1/2 cup Swerve sweetener or other erythritol
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil melted
- 15 to 20 drops stevia extract
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 300F and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roughly chop almonds and pecans. In a large bowl, whisk together nuts, coconut, almond flour, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, protein powder, sweetener, cocoa powder, orange zest, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add egg white, melted butter or oil, stevia and water. Mix until it resembles crumbly dough.
- Transfer to prepared baking sheet and bake 30 to 40 minutes, turning pan halfway through cooking. Remove and let cool.