Happy Birthday, Canada!
Okay, now that we have that little bit of patriotism out of the way, here’s a little treat. A fantastically delicious treat, made of two of my favourite foods ever. Bacon, oh how I love you, my smoky salty crispy friend. And guacamole, you creamy, dreamy combo of avocados, garlic, jalapenos and lime. I’ve been thinking of putting these two together in some sort of appetizer for a while now. And then the perfect opportunity arose, in the form of a guest post on none other than 365 Days of Bacon. Yes, that is the name of the blog. A blog that devotes every day to bacon, what’s not to love?
The blogger behind said blog is a little bit mysterious, being a touch internet-shy. She did elucidate her real name, upon my request, but I won’t share it with you to respect her privacy. Suffice it to say, she’s nice, funny, and I have few qualms about developing a recipe around bacon. Are you kidding? You don’t have to ask me twice. You barely have to ask me once, because the minute the word bacon is out of your mouth, I am shouting YES!
These are the perfect little hand-held bacon appetizer. The bacon cups shrink a bit as they cook and the bottoms may have a few gaps. But that’s okay, as long as you make your guacamole nice and thick, it stays in there perfectly. Who needs high carb tortilla chips when you have mini bacon cups?
Mini Bacon Guacamole Cups – Low Carb and Gluten-Free
- 9 slices uncured bacon
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tbsp minced onion
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced (do half if you like it less hot)
- juice of half a lime
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- For the mini bacon cups, preheat oven to 400F. Turn a mini-muffin pan upside down and place on a large rimmed baking sheet (you need something to catch all the bacon grease from dripping to the bottom of your oven. If your muffin pan is too big to fit on the sheet, make sure to put one or two baking sheet on a rack below in the oven).
- Spray the tops of 12 of the over-turned muffin tins with cooking spray (I suggest coconut oil spray).
- Cut 6 of the slice of bacon in half. Cut the remaining 3 slices of bacon into 4 even portions each. 001 Place one of the smaller portions of bacon on the top of each over-turned mini muffin cups. Take one of longer portions and wrap around the sides of the muffin cups, with as much overlap as possible between the two pieces. Secure the ends with a toothpick.
- Bake about 25 to 30 minutes, or until browned but not overly crisp (they will shrink too much and be very difficult to remove from the pan).
- Let cool 5 minutes, then carefully loosen the cups and let drain on a paper-towel lined plate.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mash avocado with a fork. Stir in onion, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- When bacon cups are cool, divide guacamole between them. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Serves 4 (3 cups each). Each serving has 5.3 g of carbs and 3.8 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 1.5 g.