Happy Birthday, Canada!
Okay, now that we have that little bit of patriotism out of the way, here’s a little treat. A fantastically delicious treat, made of two of my favourite foods ever. Bacon, oh how I love you, my smoky salty crispy friend. And guacamole, you creamy, dreamy combo of avocados, garlic, jalapenos and lime. I’ve been thinking of putting these two together in some sort of appetizer for a while now. And then the perfect opportunity arose, in the form of a guest post on none other than 365 Days of Bacon. Yes, that is the name of the blog. A blog that devotes every day to bacon, what’s not to love?
The blogger behind said blog is a little bit mysterious, being a touch internet-shy. She did elucidate her real name, upon my request, but I won’t share it with you to respect her privacy. Suffice it to say, she’s nice, funny, and I have few qualms about developing a recipe around bacon. Are you kidding? You don’t have to ask me twice. You barely have to ask me once, because the minute the word bacon is out of your mouth, I am shouting YES!
These are the perfect little hand-held bacon appetizer. The bacon cups shrink a bit as they cook and the bottoms may have a few gaps. But that’s okay, as long as you make your guacamole nice and thick, it stays in there perfectly. Who needs high carb tortilla chips when you have mini bacon cups?
- 9 slices uncured bacon
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 tablespoon minced onion
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small jalapeno seeded and minced (do half if you like it less hot)
- juice of half a lime
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- For the mini bacon cups, preheat oven to 400F. Turn a mini-muffin pan upside down and place on a large rimmed baking sheet (you need something to catch all the bacon grease from dripping to the bottom of your oven. If your muffin pan is too big to fit on the sheet, make sure to put one or two baking sheet on a rack below in the oven).
- Spray the tops of 12 of the over-turned muffin tins with cooking spray (I suggest coconut oil spray).
- Cut 6 of the slice of bacon in half. Cut the remaining 3 slices of bacon into 4 even portions each. 001 Place one of the smaller portions of bacon on the top of each over-turned mini muffin cups. Take one of longer portions and wrap around the sides of the muffin cups, with as much overlap as possible between the two pieces. Secure the ends with a toothpick.
- Bake about 25 to 30 minutes, or until browned but not overly crisp (they will shrink too much and be very difficult to remove from the pan).
- Let cool 5 minutes, then carefully loosen the cups and let drain on a paper-towel lined plate.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mash avocado with a fork. Stir in onion, cilantro, garlic, jalapeno, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- When bacon cups are cool, divide guacamole between them. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Serves 4 (3 cups each). Each serving has 5.3 g of carbs and 3.8 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 1.5 g.
Delicious, easy and simple. Thank you for sharing Carolyn. I’ve included it our Banting (the South African version of low carb & keto) breakfast recipe roundup.
What a great idea! I used thick sliced bacon, the only option available, and it didn’t crisp up as well as I’d like. So I popped them upside down in the microwave for a few 30-second sessions to finish them off. Next time I make these I may tie a bit of kitchen string around the bacon before I put it in the oven in order to keep the bacon In place. (Did I mention I’m all thumbs???) I added a bit of torn lettuce and diced tomato to the guacamole in the cups. Like a BLT in a bite!
Good morning! Just letting you know that I featured this recipe (plus another one from your site) in a round-up of 50+ Low-Carb and Gluten-Free Superbowl Party Appetizer Recipes. Hope a lot of people will click over from my site and check it out!
Thanks, I will definitely share!
Libby at ditchthecarbs.com says
These are just the cutest and most delicious things of beauty. Just to let you know, I have added them to my Top 30 Best Low Carb Snacks. They so deserve to be there.
These are really one of the BEST low carb snacks I’ve found…thank you! 🙂
Wow Thanks for a great recipe, Love this idea
what else could you put in the bacon cups? i am not a fan of Guac.. i mean i know there are definately lots of yummy things out there..just trying to get a good combo going. and did you know there is someone out there actually selling a “Bacon” cup maker on the infomercials? lol.. im thinkin.. why buy that when you have cup cake pans!! weeeheee!! i like little ones tho!!!
How about egg salad? Or any kind of firm dip type thing. Like cream cheese with garlic and herbs (Boursin)?
Ooh Carolyn good ideas! Maybe even a quiche kind of thing! Ok now I’m getting hungry! Lol thanks!!
Eat Good 4 Life says
These are fantastic. My husband would love them. Next type I have a gathering I will make these. Pinning to be used in the near future 🙂
Sommer @ ASpicyPerspective says
Bacon cups?? You are genius! 🙂
Kim - Liv Life says
I’m loving the cups!! While I have to admit I’m not really much of a bacon fan, my family makes up for that with their bacon love. I’m guessing the saltiness of the bacon combined with the guac is fabulous!! And the presentation goes without saying. Awesome!
Only 12 hours behind, I added them to my avocado post, hope you don’t mind!!
Aw, thanks. You didn’t need to add them but I appreciate it!
Jen @ Savory Simple says
I heard bacon and guac and came right over. You know the way to my heart.
Reblogged this at mine from 365, but had to come see the original. WONDROUS!
Thanks! Bacon is gooooood! 🙂
Joshua Hampton (Cooking Classes San Diego) says
Oh, bacon… I want this. Gotta have it. Thanks for sharing this.
Mr. & Mrs. P says
These are too cute… Saved this for later!!!
Katrina @ In Katrina's Kitchen says
omg Bacon CUPS?! You are my best friend.
Gerry @ Foodness Gracious says
Awesome!! I could seriously eat all of these, and only 1.5 grms of carbs so could my daughter! Winner 🙂
I could too. It was hard not to eat all 12 in one sitting.
Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen says
Adore these bacon cups, Carolyn! (Cute photo of them “under construction”. Love. It.) These fabulous little appetizers just made it onto my low carb 4th of July menu! Thanks so much for sharing! And, best wishes for a safe and happy 4th of July (Happy Birthday to Canada, too) with the fam! xo