A little Tabasco® spices up these low carb Chicken Club Lettuce Wraps. This post is part of the Tabasco 10 Ingredient Challenge and is sponsored by Tabasco.
A few months ago, my son came to me with a very concerned expression on his face. In his hand, he held a teeny tiny bottle of Tabasco sauce that had been sitting on my bedside table. He asked me why it was there and I explained that I had seen them on the buffet table of a conference I attended and I thought they were so cute, I had to bring one home. I figured this settled the matter, but apparently not. He followed me around the kitchen, asking WHY I’d had Tabasco beside my bed. I thought perhaps he was confused about why I hadn’t brought it down to the kitchen, so I explained that I just hadn’t gotten around to it. But nope, this didn’t satisfy him and it was clear we were not understanding each other in some vital way. Finally, he said “But Mum, Tabasco is bad for you!”. And then it clicked…he was mixing up Tabasco and tobacco. Oh my!
After I finally stopped laughing, I explained the very large difference between the stuff that’s in cigarettes and the hot pepper sauce you put on your food. His concern for me was utterly adorable. And as he happens to love spicy things, he’s now been sprinkling Tabasco on many of his meals. So when Tabasco asked me to be a part of their 10 Ingredient Challenge (10 ingredients, 10 bloggers, and 5 recipes in 5 days), I had to say yes. For one thing, it gave me the perfect platform to tell you that little story. And for another, I love things that challenge my cooking creativity. Being limited to only 10 ingredients to create 5 recipes is quite a challenge, believe me! And when I looked at the ingredients list, I realized I’d be even more limited than other bloggers. I don’t use grains and I rarely use beans of any sort. And most dried fruits have too much sugar so can only be used sparingly. But hey, I am game! Thank heavens that bacon and cheese made the cut.
2. Chicken (Any Type: Boneless, Bone-In, Whole, Parts, Pieces, etc.)
3. Onion (Any Type: Red, White, Spanish, Shallot, Scallion, etc.)
4. Multi or Whole Grain (Rice: Long or Short grain, Brown, White, Red or Wild; Couscous; Quinoa; Faro; Barley, etc.)
5. Canned Beans (Any Type: White, Pinto, Butter, Chick Peas, Kidney, Black, etc.)
6. Tomatoes (Canned or Fresh, Whole or Diced)
7. Leafy Greens (Any Type Fresh or Frozen: Kale, Spinach, Collards, Mustard, Swiss Chard, Escarole, Arugula, Mixed Leafy Greens, etc.)
8. Bacon (Any Type: Thick Cut, Smoked, Pancetta, Irish, Canadian, etc.)
9. Cheese (Grating or Melting: Parmesan, Cheddar, Gruyere, Mozzarella, Asiago, etc.)
10. Dried Fruit (Any Type: Cranberries, Cherries, Apricots, Dates, Currants, Raisins, etc.)
Also a challenge for me? Cranking out 5 recipes posts for 5 days in a row. I knew from the get-go that beyond this initial post, I’d have to keep my storytelling to a minimum. So for the next five days, expect to see Tabasco recipes with lots of photos and a little less chit-chat. Why yes, it is quite a challenge for me to keep my mouth shut. But I hope you will stick around and check out the fun things I came up with for this Tabasco challenge.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Tabasco. All thoughts, opinions, recipes and photography are my own.
- 8 slices bacon
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 tsp Tabasco
- Salt and pepper to taste about 1/2 tsp each
- 8 washed large lettuce leaves
- 1 medium tomato chopped
- Additional Tabasco optional
- Grated cheese optional
In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove and let drain on a paper-towel lined plate.
Remove all but 1 tbsp of bacon fat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes.
Add ground chicken, Tabasco and salt and pepper. Stirring frequently and breaking up any clumps, cook until chicken is cooked through.
Divide lettuce leaves between 4 plates, then top with cooked chicken.
Sprinkle with chopped tomato, additional Tabasco sauce and grated cheese, if using.
Crumble bacon over each lettuce wrap and serve.
Serves 4. Each serving has 5 g of carbs and 1 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 4 g.
335 Calories; 17g Fat (46.1% calories from fat); 39g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 117mg Cholesterol; 587mg Sodium.