Buffalo Spiced Cocktail Nuts (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

I will confess that I am very much a fair-weather sports fan. And it really has nothing to do with whether a team I like is doing well or doing poorly and everything to do with food. Take, for example, my devotion to the Maple Leafs during my four years at the University of British Columbia. Was I really that much of a Leafs fan? No, I simply had an ongoing bet with my best friend, a boy who lived and breathed the Vancouver Canucks, for a steak dinner every time our two teams played each other. And the Super Bowl? Sure, I will watch it every year, but only really as an excuse to eat an excessive amount of Buffalo wings. The only time I ever really feel worked up about a sport is when Canada plays in the Gold medal round of Olympic hockey. That’s when I get all sweaty and sick to my stomach with nerves, because let’s face it…my national pride is on the line.

Buffalo wings are a food I’ve only come round to in the past five years or so. I’ve always loved chicken wings, but I preferred other flavours more than the spicy tangy hot sauce. But I seem to have developed a taste for them and I think the fault lies with my husband. He loves almost anything Buffalo-flavoured. Buffalo wings, naturally, and the hotter, the better, but also pizzas and sandwiches and snack items that contain similar flavours. A particular favourite are the Buffalo-flavoured pretzel nuggets. He doesn’t really like pretzels on their own, but add some hot sauce and call them Buffalo-style, and you will make him a happy man.

I haven’t made any roasted nut snacks for a while, so the time was ripe. I wanted a savoury snack, and making them Buffalo-style just seemed like a natural fit. So natural that I actually expected to come across a ton of recipes for similar things. I wanted to get an idea of how to make the buffalo flavouring stick, so I did a google search, which yielded surprisingly little information. I know it’s not a completely original idea, as there are a number of companies out there that make them. But shockingly, I couldn’t find any recipes for homemade. So I had to go it alone. In the end, I decided simply to toss the mixed nuts with butter and hot sauce, just like wings would be. Then I added a few extra spices, like garlic and onion powder, a bit more cayenne, and some salt. And into the oven for roasting.

The Results:
I’m not going to lie to you…these are fantastic! Really, if you like Buffalo-flavoured things, these are a must-try snack. They are simple to make, so it’s easy to whip up a batch for a party or on game-day. Or just for having around the house for snacking. My husband couldn’t stop picking at them when he came home from work. I kept running my finger around the bowl where I’d tossed them together, the sauce was so tangy and good. And since they were nuts, instead of chicken, I didn’t run the risk of giving myself salmonella by doing so!

I will tell you a few things to keep in mind. First, skip putting in any hazelnuts – I only put some in my mix because I was short on almonds. But they don’t have the right flavour for the buffalo seasoning. They aren’t awful, just not as good as the other nuts. The pecans are very good, because they impart a kind of sweetness that goes surprisingly well with the hot sauce.

Also, if you like your Buffalo-flavouring to be hot, put in extra cayenne. I would definitely put in more next time. The sauce tasted quite spicy after I’d mixed it all together, so I thought there was enough. But in the roasting process, some seems to fall off the nuts so they lose a bit of heat. They are still really great, but not quite as hot as I would like them.

Buffalo Spiced Cocktail Nuts

2 cups mixed raw nuts (pecans, almonds, cashews)
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp hot sauce (Frank’s Hot Sauce is the Buffalo wing standard)
1 to 2 tsp cayenne powder (or more, if you dare!)
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment.

Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl. Spread in a single layer on prepared baking sheet and bake 8 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Let cool on pan and serve.

Serves 8. Each serving has a total of 5.5g of carbs and 2.5g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 3g.

Comments

1. Blog is the New Black says:

Ahhhh! Want to make these NOW!

2. Even if you were lying, I would still know these had to be good and would be trying them.

These look and sound awesome. I love spicy nuts.

3. Kimberly @ Badger Girl Learns to Cook says:

Theses look amazing! I just pulled a recipe for Buffalo hummus and now these make me crave Buffalo spice even more. Thanks for the great recipe and I look forward to reading more of your posts. :)

4. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie says:

Wow love that these have the buffalo flavor on them!

It those weren't as hot as you like them, they're probably perfect for me. I love game day and I adore having something to snack on. Nuts definitely work. Hubby and I enjoy wings and buffalo flavoring so you've given me a new recipe. Many thanks (as always).

6. Kim - Liv Life says:

I'm with you on the sports!! I have had a Super Bowl Party with over 50 people for the last 10 years… however, it's mostly an excuse to have huge amounts of football food (we have really stepped it up in the last few year!) and be with friends. oh, and watch the commercials!
    My husband loves all things buffalo (flavor…not the meat) and he will LOVE these guys! I think you have a total hit here!! These should be packaged and sold!

7. Cassie @ Bake Your Day says:

This is genius! My husband (and I) will absolutely love these!

8. RavieNomNoms says:

I will most definitely be making these…my family would go gaga over them during the football season. We are a nut eating family!

9. Yeah, I watch the Super Bowl for the commercials! I love spiced nuts and will give these a go!

10. Paper Plates and China Recipe Blog says:

These sound perfect! I'm going to have to give them a try. My husband and son would love these! Thanks for sharing…I've pinned them.

11. Foodness Gracious says:

I can relate to your hubby, buffalo is the best and yes the hotter the better, These nuts sound perfect to be with a cold beer and a good book or cooking magazine :)
    Take care…

12. Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking says:

Carolyn, this is such a creative idea! Lovely snack and really beautiful photos, too. They look like something right out of a magazine. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me with something new!

13. Love it! Those are great foot ball food munchies. I think it was the Buffalo in the name that put the game food to mind. :)

14. I can imagine these would be very hard to stop eating once you started! But hey, nuts are healthy, right?? :)
    They look great and a perfect snack for the game. Love the recipe!

15. Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. says:

My husband is a huge buffalo fanatic too! He doesn't usually like nuts, but I bet he would like these!

16. Such an awesome recipe …..Thanks for sharing.

17. Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny says:

Wow these look fantastic!! :)

18. I do love Buffalo flavored foods, and I love the idea of incorporating it with nuts, Yum:-) This sounds fantastic! Hugs, Terra

19. Hmm. Going to a gathering tomorrow night. Think I must make these.

20. This is such an amazing idea. It's definitely getting to be the time of year when a bowl of spiced nuts are in order. :-)

21. How fun are these! The perfect game day snack. I love anything buffalo, never thought of pairing it with nuts!

22. janet@cupcakestocaviar says:

Oooo, these sound yummy! I adore buffalo wings and if I eat these I can tell myself that they are good for me because it's made with nice healthy nuts! YAY!!!

23. Lisa @ Tarte du Jour says:

Wow, I was just looking for a spiced nut recipe for a catering event that I'm doing soon and they wanted bowls of nuts at the bar. Thanks!! I'm so glad I stopped by… these look fabulous!!!

24. hello dear – these look awesome…addictive… and almost too good to be true! delicious… my husband would love these too!

25. Veronica Gantley says:

I love these! great for game night. I like that you can adjust the heat if needed. Thanks for sharing.

26. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says:

Oh these will be making an appearance in my home! CHRISTMAS GIFTS for sure!!!

27. Vibey @ Yumbo McGillicutty says:

Oh, man! These look fantastic! Put "Buffalo" in front of a recipe title, and I am THERE.

28. I do love Buffalo-flavoured things, very much so… and I love nuts! This recipe looks really tasty, and an added plus is that it's nice and simple to throw together. I know what to make next time I'm in the mood for snacking :)

29. A new twist to just the usual! great! i read somewhere that nuts are good for ovulation…I'm getting a load of these! =)

30. Lindselicious says:

I totally want to make this!!! It sounds super good- what a fun way to dress up the nuts.

31. Oh, these look fabulous, Carolyn!!! What a creative, healthy snack…irresistible, too~

32. What at terrific idea, using buffalo chicken flavors in these nuts – great for snacking.

33. Lana @ Never Enough Thyme says:

I really can hardly wait to try these. I love that buffalo sauce flavor and can just imagine how great it is with these nuts!

34. I share your love of fall sports, I couldn't give a darn what's on. I just like the snacks. These nuts sound like something hot dog dude would love. Hope you are having a great week.
    -Gina-

35. Farmgirl Gourmet says:

How creative! Any we are two peas in a pod – I only watch sports for the food aspect. :) I'm definitely going to bookmark these nuts though, what a cool concept! Love it.

36. Diane {Created by Diane} says:

These look delicious! Can't wait to try them :)

37. Cookin' Canuck says:

You were cheering for the leafs? Those are fighting words, my friend! ;) I can see why your husband couldn't stop picking at these nuts; I would certainly be doing the same.

38. alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

i think i'll try these this weekend for a tailgate party

39. Jen at The Three Little Piglets says:

I couldn't care less about football, but that doesn't stop me from donning a Cowboys hat and making good game food every fall. It's a seriously good excuse to nosh on snacks like this!

40. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says:

I could snack on these ALL DAY!

41. Brewed Coffee says:

I imagine dumping a handful in my mouth…Going nuts over it :-)

42. Jill @ MadAboutMacarons says:

Wow – I need to get my hands on that hot sauce and get roasting. They look incredible!

43. Ashley@Bakerbynature says:

Yum – these look great for game day… or any day. I'm always in need of snack easily available by the fist full.

These look beyond addicting!

45. buffalo flavored anything is good for me! these look fantastic, loaded with flavor. yum!!

46. Looks like we were totally on the same page with out nut posts! Gonna have to give these a try next week, because I'm running out of my batch of Cilantro Lime peanuts!

47. Kay Villarreal says:

yum…I can't wait to make this!! Thanks for sharing!!

48. Hi I made these yesterday. I didn't have any cashews but found a small pack of pumpkin seeds and decided to add them to the mix. Turned out good and even better today. The flavors had a chance to mix. Thanks again for your wonderful recipes.

49. Katherine Martinelli says:

My husband is the same way as yours – loves anything buffalo! I will have to make these for him. Such a great idea! Brilliant snack.

50. Those nuts look awesome, and I bet they must taste awesome too. Haven't made roasted nuts in a while either, so your recipe will be perfect :)

51. easyfoodsmith says:

What a yummy and healthy way to snack!!

52. marla {family fresh cooking} says:

I could easily live on these savory nuts!! Great idea girl. The butter make them even mire fabulous!

53. Incredibly delicious! Wussed out and used just 1 tsp of the cayenne.

54. I highly recommend packing up a bucket of these nuts and shipping them my way! LOL… p.s… I made maple sriracha pecans the other day!

55. Steve @ the black peppercorn says:

I am so making these for Super Bowl! Thanks

56. okay, you might think this is a little whacked, but i like this so much, i wanted to play with it. i tried roasting with cauliflower flowerettes instead of nuts. didn't turn out as well as i had hoped, but very tasty nonetheless.

57. These sound amazing & I am itching to make them right now but I only have slivered almonds. Do you think I could make buffalo them??

58. Homer Bartlett says:

Thanks for this! Made several slightly different versions and my favorite is just pecans, and Sriracha hot sauce instead of Frank’s. Every version was tasty though, thanks again!

1. [...] found this recipe for this WONDERFUL treat at All Day I Dream of Food be sure to visit.  She has some amazing things going on [...]

2. [...] Buffalo Spiced Nuts (grain-free, sugar-free, soy-free) [...]

3. […] Buffalo Spiced Cocktail Nuts with All Day I Dream About Food […]

4. […] Buffalo Spiced Cocktail Nuts with All Day I Dream About Food […]

5. […] a real change of pace Carolyn at All Day I Dream About Food has a great Buffalo Spiced recipe for cocktail […]

6. […] All Day I Dream About Food: Buffalo Spiced Cocktail Nuts […]