No, it’s not a dream. Low carb cereal really does exist! This easy keto Cinnamon Crunch Cereal is a delicious grain free and sugar free breakfast option. Perfect for busy mornings.
Try my keto oatmeal for another delicious easy breakfast.
It was time to give this well loved low carb cereal recipe an update. This post was first published in December 2o13 but I decided it was time to update the recipe, the photos, and even add a video to show you just how easy it is to make.
Also be sure to check out my Chocolate Keto Cereal. It’s nut-free and so crispy and delicious!
It’s no secret that diet, exercise and fitness are very important to me. It’s truly the whole reason for this blog. I love being creative in the kitchen and playing around with my ingredients, certainly. But more than that, I love knowing that my recipes are helping those of you on a weight-loss or health journey find your love of food again. Because food is fuel, but it’s also happiness and comfort. A healthy diet shouldn’t be about deprivation because that inevitably leads to failure. We are so much more likely to succeed when we love what we eat.
Giving up cereal on a keto diet can be difficult for a lot of people. I get that, it’s a convenience food most of us grew up with. There’s nothing easier than pouring some cereal out of a box, adding some milk, and going on your merry way.
Well, you really don’t have to give that up at all. This low carb Cinnamon Crunch cereal proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt. And it’s remarkably easy to make too. Perhaps not quite as easy as pouring your cereal from a box but it’s close.
How To Make Low Carb Cereal
This easy cinnamon crunch has been a reader favorite for a long time and with good reason. You only need 5 simple ingredients:
- Almond flour
- Shredded coconut or flax seed meal
- An erythritol based sweetener
The recipe takes no eggs, which I know many people appreciate. It relies entirely on the butter, sweetener, and almond flour to set and crisp up. The sweetener is important here as erythritol based sweeteners, like Swerve, are best for a truly crispy cereal.
You could cut it into nice little squares if you so choose, but that’s an extra and unnecessary step, in my opinion. You can simply break the cereal into bite sized pieces with your hands.
But you absolutely must make sure to let the cereal cool completely before breaking it up. When you first take it out of the oven, it will be quite soft and it only becomes crispy as it cools.
Can you have cereal on a low carb diet?
Well now you can! You actually have a lot more options than you think. I’ve made quite a number of keto cereal and granola recipes and they are all delicious.
When it comes to crunchy keto cereal, you can make it with nuts, pork rinds, coconut, nut butter, nut flour, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds, and so on. Some recipes require eggs to help bind the the cereal together, and others don’t. You can make them into flakes or just leave them chunky like granola. You can even make low carb hot cereal for a comforting breakfast on a cold day.
There are so many wonderful options and they are usually quite easy to make. And many of them can be stored for up to a few weeks without issue. I like to store mine in glass mason jars on the counter and my kids love being able to pour themselves a bowl of low carb cereal in the mornings.
This is keto convenience food at its finest.
Want more delicious low carb cereal recipes?
Low Carb Cinnamon Crunch Cereal
Cinnamon Sugar Topping:
- 1 tablespoon Swerve Sweetener
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 300F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the almond flour, coconut, sweetener and cinnamon. Pulse a few times to combine.
- Scatter butter pieces over mixture and pulse until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Spread on prepared pan and cover with another sheet of parchment or waxed paper. Use a rolling pin and/or your hands to press down firmly so that the cereal sticks together. Remove the top sheet of paper. Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- While baking, combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the cereal immediately after removing from oven.
- Let cool completely on pan (it will crisp up as it cools) and then break into small pieces.