It’s no surprise why keto taco pie is one of my most popular dinner recipes. With a few basic ingredients and 15 minutes of prep work, you’ve got a healthy, crowd-pleasing meal ready to go.
I have been making this taco pie since 2014. It’s one of those things I threw together one day for my hungry family and it became an instant hit. And here we are, years later, and I am still making it exactly the same way.
It’s one of those recipes that I can make any time, anywhere, and everyone is happy. Not a single picky-eater complaint.
When I shared it with my readers, it became an instant hit for them too. Everyone who tries it raves about it, and most people put it into their regular dinner rotation. Because it’s simple to make and full of bold flavor.
What more could you ask from your keto dinner recipes?
Why you need to try this recipe
You can find any number of taco pie recipes on the internet, but they aren’t all created equal. The famous Betty Crocker recipe takes Bisquick, and other versions add canned biscuits or tortillas to bulk them up.
This keto recipe is so much healthier, full of protein and low in carbohydrates. Each serving has 33 grams of protein and only 2 grams of carbs. And absolutely no grains, gluten, or starches.
Have I mentioned how easy it is to make? This taco pie takes basic ingredients that most people have on hand and it’s ready in 45 minutes, start to finish. It’s the sort of easy keto meal you can make on a busy weeknight, and the leftovers make great breakfast or lunch.
And it’s a fabulous make-ahead recipe, as it freezes well and re-heats easily.
Ingredients you need
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Ground beef: You can also use ground turkey, pork or chicken. It’s up to you whether you drain the fat after cooking the meat. I purchase my good grassfed beef from Wild Pastures. Get 20% off your first box today!
- Taco seasoning: You can use store-bought seasoning, but make sure it has no added fillers, sugars, or starches. I really like the seasoning from Primal Palate. Or make your own by combining chili powder, cumin, garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Eggs: Eggs make up the bulk of this recipe, besides the taco meat. They give the casserole cohesiveness, structure, and great flavor.
- Heavy cream: Some of my readers have substituted heavy cream with coconut milk. You could use regular milk but because it has less fat than cream, it will take longer for the eggs to set.
- Shredded cheese: I usually use cheddar or a Mexican blend. You can also use Monterey Jack or Pepper jack. It doesn’t matter whether you
- Garlic: A few cloves of minced garlic add more flavor.
- Salt and pepper
1. Cook the beef: Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink, about 7 minutes. Then add the taco seasoning and stir until combined.
2. Transfer to a pie plate: Spread the seasoned beef in a greased glass or ceramic 9-inch pie pan.
3. Whisk the eggs: In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cream, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over beef the beef in the pan.
4. Add the cheese: Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and bake at 350ºF for 30 minutes, or until centre is set and cheese is browned. Remove and let sit 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Recipe tips and FAQs
Get creative with your toppings: Tacos are all about the toppings and this taco pie is no different. Try adding a dollop of sour cream, some chopped tomato and avocado, or some salsa and guacamole. Fresh cilantro or green onions are delicious too.
Dairy-Free Option: Use coconut milk in place of the heavy cream and some dairy-free cheese shreds for the cheddar cheese.
This recipe for easy taco pie has 2.3 grams of carbs and 0.3 grams of fiber. Thus it has 2 grams net carbs per serving.
This keto taco pie has 393 calories per serving. There are 6 servings in the recipe.
Taco pie is a great make-ahead recipe as it freezes really well. Simply bake the pie until it’s done, then let it cool, and wrap it up tightly. It can be frozen for up to 3 months. Thaw completely and then re-warm it in a 300F oven for about 20 minutes before serving.
Rave reviews for Keto Taco Pie
This is such a favorite in our house! I’ve made it many times and I think I just make it again tonight! Leftovers heat up so beautifully for lunch. Yum! – Kath
Easy and fast. The whole family loved it, even my picky 16 year old who tries to refuse low carb eating. She asked me to make it again! – Lori
This may my most favorite of all keto recipes I have tried! I have had to pace myself to NOT make it every week! I double the recipe and eat off it for a few days. It is so good! I have even started to bring it to folks as a meal. – Christine
More Mexican Inspired Keto Recipes
- Easy Keto Fajitas – A simple sheet pan meal that’s full of delicious fajita flavor.
- Chicken Enchilada Soup – Made in the Instant Pot, this flavorful soup is ready in 40 minutes.
- Mexican Cauliflower Rice is one of my most popular dinner recipes, next to Taco Pie of course!
- Keto Egg Muffins with Chorizo are an easy on-the-go breakfast.
Easy Taco Pie Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 6 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and grease a 9-inch glass or ceramic pie pan.
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium heat until no longer pink, about 7 minutes, breaking up clumps with the back of a wooden spoon. Stir in the taco seasoning until well combined, then transfer the beef to the prepared pie pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, cream, garlic, salt, and pepper. Pour over beef in the pan.
- Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and bake 30 minutes, or until the centre is set and cheese is browned. Remove and let sit 5 minutes before slicing and serving.