Thai Coconut Bread Pudding with Vanilla Cardamom Cream (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

If someone were to point a gun to my head and tell me I had to choose a favourite ethnic cuisine, I am pretty certain that I would pick Thai food. Many of my friends would pick Mexican, and while I love many aspects of Mexican cuisine, the flavours don’t excite me quite as much as Thai. I fell hard and fast for Thai food upon my first time at a restaurant in the ultra-hip Jamaica Plain neighbourhood of Boston. If my memory serves me, I had a stuffed-up nose, and the spicy curry I ordered was the first thing I had tasted in days. It cut through my congestion like butter, and we were fast friends from that point forward.

So you can imagine my response when the good folks at Thai Kitchen asked if I wanted to test out some of their products. I believe it was along the lines of “hell, yeah!”. I may or may not have divulged to them that I didn’t exactly have to “test out” their products, since I had several of them already in my pantry and fridge. But more are always welcome! Quite a number of their products are gluten-free, and quite a few thai recipes can be made low carb, which is very much in line with what I do on this blog. So I was more than happy to have some ingredients to play around with.

Much of what they sent me lends itself mostly to savoury dishes. If ever you are wondering what to do with a jar of red or green curry paste, their website has a wonderful collection of recipes. Casting around for dinner ideas one night, I decided to make their Green Curry Chicken with Basil , except that I substituted tofu for the chicken and I didn’t add basil because I didn’t have any. To make it lower in carbs, I didn’t add any brown sugar, and my husband and I both agreed that it didn’t seem lacking without it. He ate his over some of their jasmine rice and I had mine without. It was a wonderful meal.

But, being as that I am primarily a baker, I also wanted to find a way to make something sweet with their products. They had sent along a recipe for a coconut pumpkin bread pudding that made me drool, but bread pudding is neither low carb nor gluten free. Or is it? I got to thinking about what I could do with this and was reminded of a few recipes I’d saved from other places. One was for Coconut Flour Bread and one was for a Thai Coconut Custard. It all seemed to be coming together into one lovely, low carb, gluten free bread pudding in my head.

The Results: If you love the flavour of coconut, you will love this bread pudding. Made with coconut flour, coconut milk and shredded coconut (and even with coconut oil, if you wish), it is seriously coconutty. I just love it, and was quite impressed by how the coconut flour bread held up as a base for the bread pudding. The coconut flavour is enhanced by the addition of vanilla and cardamom, and it’s a lovely exotic twist on a western classic dessert.

When the pudding is warm from the oven, the cream sauce tends to absorb right in, which is why you don’t really see it in the pictures. I had wanted photographs with nice dribbles of the cream poured over the pudding, but it was not to be. It just kept getting sopped right up. But it is there, and it really adds to the whole dessert, so don’t skip it if you make this!

Thai Coconut Bread Pudding with Vanilla Cardamom Cream

1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

Cream:
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tsp coarsely ground cardamom
1 tsp vanilla extract

For the pudding, preheat oven to 200F. Slice coconut bread into 1/2 inch slices and lay on a baking sheet. Let bread dry out in oven for about an hour. Cut into 1/2 inch cubes and set aside.

Increase oven temperature to 350F and grease an 8×8 inch glass baking dish.

Pour coconut milk into a large bowl and whisk until smooth. Add eggs, erythritol, stevia, vanilla, allspice and cardamom and whisk to combine well. Add bread cubes and toss until well coated. Let stand 10 minutes to allow bread to soak up coconut milk mixture.

Pour into prepared baking dish and sprinkle with pecans and shredded coconut. Bake 35-40 minutes or until custard is set and tester inserted into center comes out clean. Cool slightly on wire rack.

Meanwhile, bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and add cardamom, vanilla and stevia, stirring to combine. Let steep for 30 minutes, then pour through a fine sieve to remove solids.

Pour cream over individual servings of bread pudding, passing any remaining cream at the table.

Serves 10. Each serving has a total of 18g of carbs, but only 6g of carbs if you subtract for erythritol and fiber.

Comments

1. Kim - Liv Life says:

Oh, Carolyn! This looks simply amazing. I'm really excited about this one. So glad the Thai people contacted you!!

2. Charlie @ SweetSaltySpicy says:

I love bread pudding and this one looks incredible! I didn't like coconut at all before and now I love it so much that every time I see a recipe with coconut milk I am excited ;).

3. Carolyn-I agree with you on choosing Thai food, on top of my list, among Indian, as well!
    Your coconut bread pudding is super yummy. Love that you make your own coconut bread to use for the pudding. I could it bread pudding of any kind for dessert, any day, as a favorite choice!

4. UrMomCooks says:

Oh my…luv luv the flavor of coconut and this dish has my mouth watering!!! Lucky you creating awesome recipes and testing ingredients! I would say you are a natural talent! Now may I please have a pudding???

5. Kate @ Diethood.com says:

Thai food is delicious and so is bread pudding – this looks yummylicious!

6. As a lover of both Thai food and coconut, this looks incredible. Do you have any idea what the amounts would be to sub out sucanat for the stevia and erythritol (I don't know what this latter one is, but I'm assuming it's a sweetener)? I'd really like to try this out. Great pics, too :)

7. Mmmmm, love thai food also!!!!
    Thai and Moroccan are my favourite.

8. It sounds like you really enjoyed your meal! Looks fabulous and tasty!

9. Oooo I love Thai's Kitchen! Was delighted to see they sell reduced fat coconut milk at the commissary! How amazing you got some free stuff! Love the look of that bread pudding. My husband is sucker for bread pudding. I never thought to add some thai flair to it. You've inspired me!!! Now I want to make it NOW! nomnom

10. Nisrine | Dinners and Dreams says:

These are some interesting flavors for bread pudding. I like Thai cuisine a lot.

11. I adore Thai food also. Actually, I almost stopped by my favorite place before class tonight to grab some of their to-die-for panang curry with tofu and vegetables. That stuff should be illegal. Insane it is.

Coconut is delicious. I love it as is, as well as mixed in whatever. Hubby dreads it, however, so this may just be a "Steph" meal. :p

12. freshandfoodie.com says:

I love coconut so this sounds heavenly. Cardamom is a nice addition.

13. Sugar Free Low Carb says:

I love Thai food and coconut. Saving this recipe to try later.

14. sara @ CaffeIna says:

I'm crazy about Thai food too! And considering how much I love bread puddings and cream I am pretty sure this recipe is going to be a new favorite of mine. If on top it's gluten free and low carb, who would say no?!

15. Oh this looks amazing! I'm not usually that big of a coconut fan when it's the focal point of the dessert, but your photos are quite persuasive. :) And I'm digging that Green Curry Chicken, it looks so yummy!

this bread pudding looks delicious coconut gives a good flavour

17. I'm a huge fan of Thai cuisine too! I love how well-balanced and flavorful their dishes are. This bread pudding looks amazing and the cardamom cream is the perfect touch!

18. Table Talk says:

I just posted a Thai Green Papaya Salad with Grilled Shrimp recipe today. This dessert would be a perfect finale to the spicy chiles in the dressing.
    Love Thai food!

19. My head is spinning from all the deliciousness in this recipe! I love Thai Kitchen's products and quite frankly I just love Thai food too :-)

20. Sara @ Saucy Dipper says:

I do love coconut EVERYTHING! Great recipe. Looking forward to giving this one a try.

21. When I read "bread" and then "low-carb," I thought it must be one of those recipes which are "lower" in carbs, but still got a good amount of them. I was wrong. Brilliant idea, and how amazing to combine Thai flavors with bread pudding!

22. This looks amazing!

Off target question: how do you take photos that turn out square in shape? Whats the width/height? Mine are rectangular in shape and always get cut off when I submit to tastespotting/foodgawker and get rejected because of composition. I dont know my height/width, whatever it is is the default setting on my cell phone cam.
    Was wondering if I can change anything….

23. Well, if someone were to point a gun at my head and demand I tell them my favorite cuisine, I'd probably lose control of my bowels and start crying about my kids (I don't have any kids, but I feel like sympathy might work).

However, if I were able to maintain my composure, Thai food would also be up there on my list, especially if I were able to make it like this – it looks great!

24. Ooooooo! Could you also adapt this to make french toast?!?!?!?! This looks great!

I'm right there with you about Thai food being my favorite as well. I love what you've done with this dish and am a fan of bread pudding. Looks delicious!

26. Carolyn This looks simply lusious. Coconut and Bread all warm and yummy sounds like a decadant treat but it's healthy. I love coconut flour. This was a great idea. B:)

27. wow, delicious recipe- got all the ingredients i love!

28. Wilde in the Kitchen says:

Both of the recipes sound great, I'll have to head over to Thais website as well! I love their products. Its a toss up between Indian and Thai for me!

29. Cajun Chef Ryan says:

The Cardamom Cream has my attention!

Great recipe!

Bon appetit!
    CCR
    =:~)

30. something good says:

Wow! Awesome! We've just had a curry evening with a bunch of Thai food addicts and we chose to have sweet potato compote for dessert. If I only knew about this one …

31. A little bit of everything says:

I love the spicy Thai food, but so I'd love your coconut bread pudding. I'm a big fan of coconut.
    thanks for sharing this Carolyn
    best wishes,
    Roxana

32. Stormy @LaMaoomba says:

Oh yeah, Thai food is delicious. Of course, it has also been a source of funny memories, from swallowing a chile and having to ask for a glass of milk (given to me in a kiddie cup) from a bewildered restaurant owner to practically singing all of my hair off while taking a cooking class in Chiang Mai a few years ago. Despite this, I love the flavors! I also love that your recipe is gluten-free! Thank you for sharing it.

33. blackbookkitchendiaries says:

wow this sounds just delish to me:) love your flavor combo in here.. very lovely:) thanks for sharing this and have a great day.

34. The combo of flavors sounds so delicious! thanks for sharing.

35. I like the coconut bread idea as a gluten free option. How does it taste on its own?

36. That pudding looks delicious. And…I can't wait to see the peanut butter balls you have. Sounds SO good!

37. Wow, I would never have thought to put Thai flavors in a bread pudding! There can never be too much coconut in anything, and the great thing about this dish is it's gluten free too. You're the GF genius, Carolyn!

38. Something that soaks up endless amounts of cream sounds like my kind of dessert!

39. LOVE this. I can't ever get enough coconut in my life.

40. kitchenarian says:

This looks wonderful. I have not cooked a lot of Thai food, but after this I will be. Thanks for the recipe!

41. Love your version of bread pudding, and I'm glad you were able to make it gluten free and low carb. I love Thai food too, and I love bread pudding! So versatile! I've started hosting a monthly event called The Bread Pudding of the Month Club on my blog, sharing fun twists on bread pudding each month. I hope you'll stop by and check out the variations, as well as the other recipes and restaurant reviews I share :) Thanks!

42. Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels says:

I have a serious obsession with all things coconut and I just LOVE your recipe. I would have never of thought to make coconut bread and turn it into a bread pudding, you are just so creative. I MUST make this ASAP! It's calling my name. Mmmmm and it looks gorgeous too!

43. BakingWithoutABox says:

I feel guilty to confess I don't think I've ever eaten Thai food. And I live in LA. Ouch. But you've inspired me to try it. Especially if it looks the tiniest little bit like this dazzling creation. Wonderful even without the low card benefits. Just straight delish with a healthful bonus.

44. I'm still a little unsure of bread pudding. I have really only had it once and I'm pretty sure it wasn't supposed to taste the way it did. However, you said one word "Thai" and I was drooling by the minute reading this recipe. Looks so good! I would love to try this:)

45. Amy Bakes Everything says:

Brilliant! I use coconut milk a lot in the bakery, and I know a certain father-in-law that would choose me as his favorite if I made bread pudding with it! Great job, beautiful photos!

46. i have never thought about using coconut milk!

looks amazing

47. Magic of Spice says:

Fantastic sounding bread pudding and looks pretty amazing as well :) I really love the sound of that sauce!
    I do enjoy Thai dishes as well :)

48. I can see we're on the same page here. I just posted a Thai coconut-flavored dish. Thai is one of my fav cuisines too. Great flavors in this dish. I love how you made a low-carb Bread Pudding. I recently starting experimenting with Stevia too…added it to my smoothie today and it came out great. Thanks for the great ideas!

49. Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having says:

This sounds amazing! I was just thinking about making rice pudding with coconut milk, but this sounds even better.

50. Okay, now I wish you lived next door. Yum!

51. Amy at TheSceneFromMe says:

Oh my, now that's what I like to see first thing in the morning when I get up, coconut bread pudding! I could so eat that deliciousness for breakfast right now :)

52. christine says:

Carolyn, thanks for getting back to me about the sweetener substitutions and for the nice comments on my blog :) You're sweet to play along with my weird computer story. Anyway, I'm looking forward to trying out the coconut bread pudding! Thanks again!

53. sandy - Everyday Southwest says:

Yummm….. this looks delicious! You did a great job for Thai Kitchen… and us! Thanks!

54. Erythritol and other alcohol sugar-substitutes are bad for the digestive tract. You are much better off using sugar!

Sounds like a delicious recipe, otherwise. I just thought, why ruin it with something dangerous like erythritol?

55. Sugar is as bad or worse for you in the long run as any sugar alcohol. I have diabetes, that's why. Besides which, erythritol is NOT bad for the digestive tract like other sugar alcohols, it is absorbed in the small intestine and does not cause the same gastro-intestinal distress.
    Sugar is addictive and causes many health issues…diabetes being only one of them.

56. Hi Carolyn,
    If I have Swerve, what measurements would you recommend? I’d like to avoid buying straight erythritol for one (delicious sounding) recipe.

• Carolyn says:

I think you should do about 1/3 cup Swerve in the pudding and maybe 3 tbsp or so powdered swerve in the cream.

• Thank you so much! I have a thing for cardamom and this meets all of my dietary restrictions so I can’t wait to make it. Love your site and thanks for all of your hard work and research into your fabulous recipes!