Chipotle Cheese Crisps, Version 2.0

Do these look familiar? They should, I posted about them a few weeks ago. Gee, Carolyn, isn’t it kind of early to be posting repeats? I mean, your blog hasn’t been around THAT long! Well, these are not the same…not at all. They look about the same, and they taste about the same, but they are not the same. These are the entirely Gluten Free version and I am thrilled with them. You may recall the last time that I made them with my low carb wheat flour (Carbalose flour) because I wasn’t quite sure how they would hold up with almond flour. Well, this past weekend I decided to give the almond flour a go and see what happened.

It would seem that I have worked with almond flour enough now to have gained a gut instinct about what will work and what won’t. I got out the ingredients to mix up the dough with the same proportions as in the original recipe from Martha Stewart, but something told me to hold back a little butter and a little cheese. So I did. And then, as I began to rub it all together with my hands, I just knew it was still too wet and soft. I added more almond flour until I thought I had the right consistency, and then I rolled up my dough and chilled it overnight.

A little squeeze of my dough log the next morning told me it was softer than a flour-based dough would be. As a trial, I cut only three slices and baked them at 400F as in the original recipe. They cooked quickly and browned much faster, almost to the point of burning. So for the next few, I lowered the temperature and kept a close eye on them. This worked a little better, but they were not as crisp as they should be when they came out of the oven. So I put them back in with the oven turned off to crisp up some. 15 minutes later, they looked just perfect.

The Results: I honestly think I like these better than the flour kind. I will confess that they are a little more fragile and prone to breaking than their gluten-laden counterparts, but that is to be expected. But they have a richer flavour from the almond flour and they seem to stay crispier too. My kids love them, especially my son. When I told him he could have a few, he asked if that meant he could have a hundred. Uh, no, sweetie, more like three. He then said he loved them so much he wished he could have them every day for snack.

One of the great things about the refrigerated dough is that you can only bake a few (or a hundred) at a time, and keep the remainder chilled. I actually still have about a third of the log in the fridge, waiting for the next snack attack.

Chipotle Cheese Crisps (Gluten Free)

1 1/2 cups almond flour
3/4 tsp chipotle powder (or cayenne, if you prefer)
3/4 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 cups finely grated cheddar cheese
6 tbsp butter, cut into pieces and room temperature.

In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, chipotle pepper and salt. Add cheese and butter and work in with hands, rubbing butter in with fingers, until a dough forms.

Transfer dough to a sheet of waxed paper and form into a log 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Roll log back and forth on counter to smooth the sides. Roll up tightly in waxed paper and refrigerate until firm, at least 4 hours and as long as several days.

Preheat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut log into 1/4 inch slices and bake 12 minutes, or until spread and edges are starting to brown. Turn off oven and continue to let bake and crisp, about 10 to 15 more minutes. Watch carefully to make sure they don’t burn.

Makes about 40 crisps. Each crisp has less than 1g of carbs.

Comments

1. A Thought For Food says:

It's great when you have a recipe that you can modify like this. I served cheese crisps at a party a few months ago and people went crazy over them. These look fantastic!

2. jill@MadAboutMacarons says:

Carolyn, you have yet another winner here. I adore cheese crisps, so light like this. Love your addition of chipotle and great photos, as ever!

3. I love the idea of a sweet and spicy dessert! Thanks for sharing!

4. These look great! They would be perfect with a bowl of tomato soup. Thanks for sharing!

5. Ott, A. says:

Looks like a fun and tasty snack.

I still want to make these, you know. I doubt I could get Dudette to eat them, but Hubby and I would chow down. :)

7. Can we just be best friends? ;)

Will be trying these and, oh, almost every other one of your recipes!

8. Carolyn says:

As it happens, Erin, I am in need of a new best friend! ;)

Too bad you live far away.

9. Belinda @zomppa says:

I especially like the bit of kick you have here.

10. Angie's Recipes says:

They look so crumbly and melt-in-mouth delicious!

11. Jennifurla says:

This is my sort of treat, I bet the flavor was great. WOuld it be wrong to put another slice of cheese on top??

12. I really want to try these! i think they look so amazing!

13. Georgia | The Comfort of Cooking says:

Carolyn, these crisps look so delicious and perfect for snacking! I love that you used almond flour, too. Wonderful recipe all around, and I bet really tasty too!

14. Ahhh, yet again, another lovely recipe with almond flour! I love learning so many wonderful ways to bake with almond flour:-) Hugs!

15. Kate@Diethood says:

Oh my, cheese crisps!! YES! I love these… I could munch on them all day, non stop!

16. Medifast Coupons says:

Very nice!

17. Tiffany says:

2.0 looks great! (Although, I thought 1.0 looked really good tooooooooo!)

I love how creative you are and that you are able to come up with so many gluten-free recipes that sound super delicious! I'm sure I'd like both versions of your crisps.

19. Nami @ Just One Cookbook says:

Hi Carolyn! I love how your son asked for 100 cookies. SO CUTE! I love these little memories with the food at home. Such a joy. Your kids are so lucky you are a great baker. My kids look forward to dinner, but oh well they don't think there's homemade sweets exist at my home, well besides a few occasions. Also, I like how you are very honest about the result and you actually shared what you thought about your recipe. It makes us feel you have very trustworthy recipes.:-)

20. You have become a food chemist genius, Carolyn! I'm always impressed with how you can adapt recipes so well. Another delicious winner…these would be great on a salad :)

21. Charlie @ SweetSaltySpicy says:

It's great that you were able to make these gluten free! Still looks delicious ;).

22. Roxana GreenGirl says:

I loved your first version but I think these look much better. I have to figure out where to get cheaper almond flour, the $12 bag at the grocery store is going to make me file for bankruptcy soon.

23. MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College says:

Ah these look and sound wonderful. That flavor combo sounds perfect.

24. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says:

This is it! This is the recipe to Trademark and package for all the world to taste. :)

…I'd buy them!

25. baking.serendipity says:

Honestly, I think my favorite part of these is that they are a bake as you go kind of snack. Those are my favorites and these look fantastic!

26. The Harried Cook says:

Your son sounds so cute! I think I could eat a 100 of these cheesy cookies too :) The almond flour does sound richer and tastier than regular flour. And I love slice & bake cookies. They're so convenient for making in advance! Thank you for sharing this! :)

27. Tamar1973 says:

I'm not much of a baker but I can live vicariously through blogs like this! LOL!~

28. chefpandita.com says:

I am interested in gluten free baking and couldnt be more happy to have found your blog! These look amazing. Gotta get almond flour soon :)

29. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says:

Girl you are a machine!! GO YOU!! I love how you stayed with it and kept tweaking it until you got these awesome results. Great job!

30. Kate from Scratch says:

Oh my goodness! I love the concept of the same recipe two different ways. I was recently thinking about one of those vegan superhealthy posts I did and how I wanted to smother cheese all over it. haha! Maybe I should do it. Love your GF version too. Great for celiac awareness month too.

31. Oh how much I love those, anything with almond flour and if it is spicy I am there…only if I can find a way to move closer to you..now I sound creepy!:))
    Your post is so funny..love it!!!!

32. Food Glorious Food! says:

I am sure I will love this gluten free version more! Thanks for the improved recipe :)

33. Belinda @zomppa says:

Impressive!! I'll take both versions!

34. One hundred? I agree with him, ya got a smart one there!! Those look delish!!!

35. This is great! Cheese straws and crisps are so popular here in the South. I'm passing your link onto a friend who's allergic to gluten and can't eat dairy.

36. Megan @ Pip and Ebby says:

I did do the, Wait a second, I've seen these.. :) Like the others, they look amazing!

37. Hi, Carolyn! Yes, that's the Macaroni Grill we went to in Vancouver :) My dad taught physics at UBC for a year…and my sister got her civil engineering degree there. LOVE the city…small world :)

38. Lisa @ Tarte du Jour says:

I have a gluten free friend coming over for dinner this weekend. Perfect cocktail food!! I love this!

39. Happy When Not Hungry says:

These crisps look delicious! Love how simple the recipe is too!

40. Claudie says:

They simply look fabulous :) I understand why your son would want a hundred of them :)

41. Magic of Spice says:

So glad the almond flour worked out for you…these look fantastic!

42. Cristina says:

I love that you reworked this with the almond flour. They look so good either way, but probably better healthwise with almond flour. Thanks for sharing your results. =)

43. RLV @ bittensweetblog.com says:

I've got to try this! I love snacks and I would have totally eaten a 100 if I could! :)

44. I could snack on these all day long:)

45. Alison @ Ingredients, Inc. says:

I am with Maria. These sound very addictive and wonderful

46. Feast on the Cheap says:

Oh I love these… Reminds me of those delicious crisps that fancy hotels leave for you in your room…

47. Matthew "mmwine" Horbund says:

These may make my next wine tasting!!

48. I could eat a lot of those in one sitting, just saying. They look wonderful!

1. [...] Chipotle Cheese Crisps from All Day I Dream About Food [...]