Juicy, tender pork chops smothered in a creamy onion and bacon sauce. This might just be the best low carb meal I’ve ever had!
Okay, people. Run, run, do not walk, run to your kitchen and make these low carb pork chops for dinner. Run as fast as you can. Stop only at your local grocery store to get any necessary ingredients. Although, if you are a good low carber, chances are you already have all of this in your fridge. So hurry home and whip out a good skillet, chop your bacon, slice your onions and get ready to rock and roll. All you pork lovers out there, this is a pork party in your mouth. You will be in hog heaven, you will want to go hog wild, and you will be living high off the hog. You will be bringing home the bacon (literally) and pigs will fly before you will let anyone share your dinner tonight. And now I can’t come up with any more porcine play on words, so just believe me. You need this in your life.
Some people might think that pork-on-pork recipes are over the top. I say the haters gonna hate. Bacon makes everything more delicious and what pairs better with pig than more pig? This lovely dream of a low carb, high fat recipe came to me when I was staring into my freezer, looking at the 30 pounds of pasture-raised pork I bought recently. Much of it came as pork chops and I do have a longstanding love affair with pork chops. And if you’ve ever had pasture-raised pork chops, you’ll know what I mean when I say I fell even more in love. The meat is more tender and the fat is melt-in-your-mouth delicious. It tastes like butter, I swear. Like good, grassfed butter. I know grassfed and pasture-raised can be expensive but if you can get a little of it here and there, it’s worth it!
And caramelizing the onions in the bacon grease? Inspired, if I do say so myself. The onions become so tender and smooth, and the sauce becomes almost velvety. Velvety onion goodness studded with bacon. On top of juicy seared pork chops. Do you believe me yet? Do I really need to sell you more on this meal? I loved it so much, I skipped dessert so I could have more. That, my friends, is an epic meal.
So what are you still doing here? Run. Run, I say. Run to your kitchen and make this. Go on, scram! You can thank me later.
Looking for more delicious low carb pork recipes? Check out these Carnitas from A Family Feast. Or this slow cooker Cuban Pork from Belly Full. Or how about these gorgeous Lemon and Herb Pork Chops from Cookin’ Canuck?
Caramelized Onion & Bacon Smothered Pork Chops
Juicy, tender pork chops smothered in a creamy onion and bacon sauce. This might be the best low carb meal I've ever had!
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 pepper
- 4 bone-in pork chops, 1 inch thick
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- In a large saute pan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove to a bowl, reserving bacon grease.
- Add onions to bacon grease and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 15 to 20 minutes, until onions are soft and golden brown. Add onions to bacon in the bowl.
- Increase heat to medium high and sprinkle pork chops with salt and pepper. Add chops to pan and brown on the first side 3 minutes. Then turn chops over and reduce heat to medium, cooking on the second side until internal temperature reaches 135F, about 7 to 10 more minutes. Remove to a platter and tent with foil.
- Add broth to pan and scrape up any browned bits. Add cream and simmer until mixture is thickened, 2 or 3 minutes. Return onions and bacon to pan and stir to combine.
- Top pork chops with onion and bacon mixture and serve.
Serves 4. Each serving has 6.3 g of carbs and 1.02 g of fiber. Total NET CARBS = 5.28 g.
Food energy: 352kcal Saturated fatty acids: 8.43g Total fat: 18.23g Calories from fat: 164 Cholesterol: 107mg Carbohydrate: 6.30g Total dietary fiber: 1.02g Protein: 36.98g Sodium: 725mg