Mashed cauliflower is an healthy and easy staple for the keto diet. Make this easy mashed cauliflower recipe in your slow cooker and add ranch seasonings for a fun little flavor twist. Plus my tips for making this popular low carb side dish extra creamy and delicious.
I was recently accused of posting too many sweets and dessert recipes. This is really not an unfair accusation at all. In fact, I’d go so far as to say I am guilty as charged. I acknowledge this accusation and accept it willing. And maybe even with a little pride. I have no plans to change my errant dessert-loving ways anytime soon, but I also recognize that man cannot live on cake alone. As tempting as that might sound.
So as something of an antidote to all of my low carb treats, I present you with this delicious mashed cauliflower recipe. A perfect side dish for all of your keto meals and it couldn’t be easier to make. Much like mashed potatoes, mashed cauliflower is something of a blank slate. It wants you to add the flavor and the creaminess and there are so many great ways to do that. You can also cook them on the stovetop, in a slow cooker, or in your Instant Pot. For this particular recipe, I made them extra easy by using my slow cooker. That way, I can simply dump everything in and come back when it’s ready to be mashed up. I also added some homemade ranch seasoning for a fun flavor twist.
Tips for making mashed cauliflower
But also much potatoes, cauliflower mash can be ho hum if you don’t do it well. It can be lumpy and tasteless, or it can be overcooked and give off that funky cauliflower smell. A few tips on how do make them extra creamy and delicious…
- Cook them until they are fork tender, but no longer. Once they can easily be pierced with a fork, get them off heat quickly.
- Drain them well. This is particularly important if you are doing them on the stove top or in the Instant Pot, because you have to add water to help them cook. As they continue to release steam for a while, they will add moisture back into your mash and it will be watery. So wait for them to stop steaming.
- For a slow cooker, do NOT add any water! They will release enough of their own moisture and this way, you don’t have to drain them at the end. Helps you skip a step!
- Add plenty of fat. Butter and sour cream make for unbelievably cream mashed cauliflower, but you can use other oils like coconut, ghee, or avocado oil. If you are dairy-free and want them to be extra creamy, try some coconut cream or even some dairy-free sour cream or cream cheese.
- Blend them up! I prefer to transfer mine to a good high-powered blender, as immersion blenders just don’t seem up to the task. But if you’re using an immersion blender, keep at it until you get all those lumps out.
I love the slow cooker method for cooking mashed cauliflower, especially in the summer months so I don’t have to turn on my stove. And I love that it doesn’t need any extra liquid to cook through and be perfectly tender. This was such a delicious low carb side dish and we paired it with some grilled chicken for a super easy meal.
But don’t worry, just because I am giving you a cauliflower mash recipe doesn’t mean I’ve forgotten about dessert. There’s always room for dessert.
More Delicious Low Carb Cauliflower Recipes:
Roasted Cauliflower with Chili Pepper from Rachel Cooks
Bacon Cheeseburger Cauliflower Casserole from SugarFree Mom
Low Carb Cauliflower Breadsticks from Real Housemoms
Sautéed Cauliflower Rice with Caramelized Onions and Spinach from Cookin’ Canuck
Keto Slow Cooker Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 medium head cauliflower cut into florets
- 1/3 cup full fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp dried dill weed
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- Place all ingredients into a slow cooker. Set on high for 2 to 3 hours or low for 4 to 5 hours.
- Transfer to a blender or use an immersion blender and blend until smooth.