Rich low carb chocolate torte made with walnuts. This is one of the densest, moistest, richest low carb cakes you will ever eat. A little sliver is enough to satisfy!
I am a big fat jerk-face. Like, just a total meanie-pants. Really, I mean it, I am stupid-head to the nth degree. What on earth, you might wonder, has me calling myself such juvenile schoolyard names? Well, I owe this recipe to someone and I can’t remember who. And I think I’ve owed it to them for a few weeks now. All I know is that one reader had a huge windfall of walnuts and asked me what to do with them. I can’t even remember where or how she asked me, although I suspect it was on Facebook. Since I had recently created this recipe, I told her to email me because I had just the thing for her. She dutifully emailed and I had all of these wonderful intentions of emailing her back with the recipe right away.
And I didn’t do it. Of course I didn’t. The recipe wasn’t fully typed up yet and I didn’t have time in that moment, so I put it off. And then I lost sight of the email and it slipped my mind. Until yesterday, when I was deciding what recipe to put up and settled on this one. Then I slapped my forehead and went “Oh $***, you total meanie-pants jerk-face stupid-head, you forgot!”. Yes, apparently I am a little hard on myself.
Really, my connection with my readers is of the utmost importance to me. I honestly value it as much as any “real” relationship in my life. I get so many wonderful comments and emails, I have such loyal supporters, and I want people to know that I really don’t take that for granted. Not for a second, even when I forget to respond or email you back. Even when my responses come a few weeks too late to address the issue or problem that you have. I feel honoured that so many people look to me as a low carb expert and I try my hardest to answer each and every question thoroughly. But I do often fall behind, I do lose sight of queries, and I simply can’t always stay on top of it all. That’s life, I suppose.
So to the lovely reader who asked me for recipes to help use up her huge quantity of walnuts, this one goes out to you. And I just did a little search of my email and found the reader. So Diane…this one’s for you! Hope you love it.
Chocolate Walnut Torte
Rich low carb chocolate torte made with walnuts. This is one of the densest, moistest, richest low carb cakes you will ever eat!
- 1 1/2 cup walnuts
- 3/4 cup Swerve Sweetener
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp espresso powder (optional, enhances chocolate flavour)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 1/2 ounces sugar-free dark chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup walnut pieces
- Preheat oven to 325F and grease a 9-inch round baking pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper and grease the paper.
- In a food processor, process walnuts until finely ground. Add sweetener, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder, and salt and pulse a few times to combine.
- In a large saucepan set over low heat, melt butter and chocolate together until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in eggs and vanilla extract. Add almond milk and whisk until mixture smooths out. Stir in walnut mixture until well combined.
- Spread batter in prepared baking pan and bake about 30 minutes, until edges are set but center still looks slightly wet. Let cool 15 minutes in pan, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely. Remove parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring cream to just a simmer. Remove from heat and add chopped chocolate. Let sit to melt 5 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
- Cool another 10 minutes, then pour the glaze over the cake, smoothing the sides. Sprinkle top with walnut pieces and chill until chocolate is firm, about 30 minutes.
Serves 12. Each serving has 2.97g NET CARBS.
Food energy: 343kcal Total fat: 30.26g Calories from fat: 272 Cholesterol: 112mg Carbohydrate: 8.46g Total dietary fiber: 5.49g Protein: 9.54g Erythritol: 15g