Chocolate Donuts with Peanut Butter Glaze (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: I love peanut butter. Oh wait, that’s right. You have heard this one before…about a gazillion times. As it turns out, I also love my little donut pan. It was an impulse purchase, but one that has turned out to be tremendously useful for such a specialized kitchen gadget. I hardly needed it, on top of all the various bakeware I already own, but I had a gift certificate to a kitchen supply store and thought it looked like fun. It sat in my bakeware cupboard for months, untouched, until I dreamed up my Blueberry Pomegranate Donuts. But it worked so remarkably well for those that I knew it would get used again. And again. And again.

It was really only a matter of time before I married my two loves, peanut butter and donut pan. After all, when one has two beloved friends who are unknown to each other, one tends to get pretty excited to introduce them. Sometimes this doesn’t work out that well, the chemistry between two individuals just not quite mixing the way one would hope. But I had little to fear here, being quite certain that peanut butter and donut pan would get along. Well, let’s be fair, I did introduce a third party into the mix, namely chocolate, who I thought would help ease the transition. And rightly so, as chocolate is always the perfect party guest and has a way of putting all other ingredients at their ease. And so, chocolate donuts with peanut butter glaze were born. Made with peanut flour, naturally.

The funny thing is that I’ve never been a huge donut person. Muffins, I love. Quick bread, I love. Donuts, ho-hum, they’re okay. But we’re talking store-bought donuts here, and these homemade donuts are really a different creature altogether. Because really, donuts from a donut pan are muffins or quick bread in disguise. They’re shaped like a donut, but they have the density and texture of a muffin. They aren’t fried, and they tend to be much more reasonably apportioned compared to what you might get at your local coffee shop. The best part for me, as a mother of three, is that I get to tell my kids that they are having donuts for breakfast and see their sweet faces light up with joy – all the while serving them something that is quite healthy and good for them.

The Results:
No false modesty here. I love these donuts. So do my kids. They were easy and quick to whip up. I was up a bit early one morning and had them ready to go before my kids were even awake. The only thing that stopped us from devouring them all was that I still needed to take pictures! I am really quite impressed with how moist they are, too. After they cooled on the baking racks, I thought the outsides seemed a bit dry. But I realized my fears were baseless when I bit into one and it was perfectly tender and cakey.

You could easily eat the chocolate donuts as is, or put a typical sweet donut glaze on them, and they’d be great. But let’s face it…there is nothing like peanut butter and chocolate together. Peanut butter and chocolate make my day. And having them for breakfast, in a donut I don’t have to feel guilty about, really makes my day!

***Edited to add – I’ve heard from several readers that their batter ends up too thick. There are several varieties of peanut flour available and the defatted variety soaks up a lot more liquid than the non-defatted. I used the non-defatted here. I am adding some additional instructions below for those of you who are using defatted or partially defatted peanut flour.

Chocolate Donuts with Peanut Butter Glaze

1 1/4 cups peanut flour (non-defatted)

*if using defatted peanut flour, see extra directions below

1/3 cup cocoa powder

2 tbsp peanut butter

2 tbsp whipping cream

2 tbsp almond milk

1 tbsp powdered erythritol

Garnish:

2 tbsp chopped peanuts

Preheat oven to 325F and grease a donut tin.

In a large bowl whisk together peanut flour, cocoa powder, granulated erythritol, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another small bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut oil, vanilla and stevia. Add egg mixture to peanut flour mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. Add almond milk and stir until smooth.

*If you are working with defatted or partially defatted peanut flour, you will need to add additional liquid. Simply add more almond milk, 1 tbsp at a time, until you get a consistency like muffin batter.

Fill holes of donut tin 2/3 full (you will likely have to do 2 batches). Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until set and donuts spring back when touched. Let cool in pan 5 minutes and then flip out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining batter.

For the glaze, place peanut butter in a microwave-safe dish, and warm gently in 20-second intervals until peanut butter is very soft. Stir in whipping cream and almond milk until smooth and well combined. Stir in powdered erythritol and stevia. Spread glaze onto donuts with a knife. The glaze won’t be pourable, but is should be fairly thin and spreadable. If you find yours too thick, add another tablespoon of almond milk until it thins out a bit.

Sprinkle with chopped peanuts.

Makes 9**. Each donut has a total of 12g of carbs and 2g of fiber, but only 6.7g of carbs if you subtract erythritol. Total net carbs = 4.7g.

**Not all donut pans are created equal. Mine is made by Fox Run and appears to be somewhat smaller than those made by Wilton, although it is not a mini-donut pan. So you may only get 6 donuts out of this recipe.

I submitted this post at Family Fresh Cooking for Marla’s Get Grillin’ Event. Get Grillin’ with Family Fresh Cooking and Cookin’ Canuck, sponsored by Ile de France Cheese, Rösle, Emile Henry, Rouxbe and ManPans.

Comments

1. Foodness Gracious says:

These look awesome and only 4.7g carbs? Thats a keeper. I'm the same with the donut, I can be mehh, and I'd much rather have a muffin or slice of quickbread. I think I'll be trying these though, the family will love me!
    Thanks for sharing…

2. The Slow Roasted Italian says:

Oh my, these look divine. I do not have a donut pan and I am interested in finding one now!

3. Maris(In Good Taste) says:

They look very tasty. Love a baked donut without the guilt of fried

Once again, you amaze me! These donuts sound unbelievable and by looking at them, you'd never guess gluten-free or low carb!

5. So, should I not be in the possession of a donut pan at the moment, do you think it's a good guess to try this recipe as muffins? Adjusting for baking time, of course. Probably 2/3 full for muffin tins as well?

6. Carolyn says:

Hi Amelia,
    Yes, you could certainly make muffins with them. Donut tins are pretty small, so I don't know how many muffins you'd get out of this…6 maybe? You may want to make less of the glaze to match, too. Let me know how they turn out!

7. This looks very delicious.. chocolate and peanut butter..what's not to like :)) sounds incredible!!!!

8. nancy@skinnykitchen.com says:

Wow these look so yummy!

9. I stumbled across your blog while searching for low-carb recipes online. I also had gestational diabetes and believe I am pre-diabetic (due to testing my sugar at home, not officially diagnosed, that is pending!). I also lead a pretty healthy lifestyle so I'm baffled. Anyways, as someone who adores cooking, your blog looks like its going to be my lifesaver. Thank you :-)

10. If it has peanut butter I will eat it! I will have to make these soon. Beautiful photo!

Amazing. They're tempting even lil ole non-chocolate me. I love the decadence of the peanut butter on top. Another perfect treat.

12. scratch-made wife says:

Why is it that you're always putting PB and chocolate together and making me want to bake? :) This recipe looks sooooo good. I have to agree: I've never been a huge doughnut person. But I feel I can make an exception for this recipe!

13. I have NO donut pan so I know what's going on the wish list this week! These gems look delicious!

14. Lisa @ Tarte du Jour says:

Reece's Cup Doughnuts! Yahoo…life is good! I don't have a doughnut pan but it sounds like I need one now.

15. The Harried Cook says:

Chocolate and peanut butter? Yes, please! What a fabulous donut recipe! Thanks for sharing :)

16. This makes me wish I had a donut pan. In the absence of that, I wish I had jar of peanut butter near me. Yum!

17. Jessica @ How Sweet says:

these look SO.GOOD!

18. These donuts look amazing! The fact that they are low carb makes 'em even better.

We are in our final week of Get Grillin' – Dessert is the theme and we would love if you submitted up to any 3 recipes (they don't have to be grilled) to our link up. This one would be perfect! This week we have a Rouxbe Cooking School giveaway. http://su.pr/2YaIiV

19. briarrose says:

Beautiful! Perfect way to start of a day. The little donut pan has been on my wanties list for a while…going to have to splurge soon. ;)

20. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel says:

Oh no … another baked donut recipe lol just teasing. I like to harass people about them. Fun idea/flavor combo :)

Might need to put my Williams-Sonoma gift card towards a mini donut pan. Chocolate and peanut butter is a winning combo and one I know everyone will love. I'll need to bookmark this recipe. Yummy!

22. These look great! i love the pb icing on the chocolate donut :)

23. purabi naha says:

mmm…yummy…these donuts really look delicious…I am dreaming that I am eating a dozen. Peanut butter makes these donuts more droolworthy!

24. Belinda @zomppa says:

I will not stop you from talking about peanut butter donuts. Me wants!

25. Emily @ A Cambridge Story says:

A donut pan is going to be my next kitchen purchase – these look sooo good. Your kids must have loved them!

26. Caroline @ chocolate and carrots says:

Yum!!!! I need these…right now.

27. Food Glorious Food! says:

This is perfect! Low carb and taste great!! Thanks for the lovely recipe and have a great week ahead!

28. claire gallam says:

I'd like about 30 of those, please :)

29. Carolyn,
    You have outdone yourself with low carb donuts. didn't know that those two words could go together, but you made it happen. Love the chocolate PB combo, of course.

30. Sanjeeta kk says:

These are so adorable, Carolyn! Love the peanut butter frosting..have a jar of peanut butter and now I know what best can be done with it :)

31. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen} says:

Carolyn – these are pretty much amazing!

32. Hester aka The Chef Doc says:

This looks fabulous :-)

33. I can completely relate to the peanut butter obsession! And with chocolate? Even better!
    Your donuts are perfect! And I'm sure they taste amazing, too. Just gorgeous!

34. Boulder Locavore says:

Carolyn chocolate and PB have been my favorite sweet combo since I was a child. These looks great. I've never worked with peanut flour either. Will have to give these a whirl….when I'm using my oven again!

35. just perfect! and the best combo..peanut butter, chocolate, and donuts! thanks for sharing

36. Lindselicious says:

Wow these are low carb?! Great new recipe for my donut pan. Yay!

37. janet@fromcupcakestocaviar says:

These look fantastic. I have been wanting to get a doughnut pan; you just gave me a reason hehe

38. Parsley Sage says:

Hot stuff! I love your little genius ideas. I've got a mini-donut maker in the cupboard that I've never even used once! I'm thinking its time to dust it off and go peanut-butter-choco crazy :)

39. Happy When Not Hungry says:

Wow these donuts look amazing!! I love the chocolate and peanut butter combo!

40. Jill Colonna says:

You are incredible, Carolyn. Low carb donuts! Love also your second photo – looks like it's flying.

41. Love these – I am going to have to try them. I love peanut butter too. So much that I keep a jar of chunk at my desk at work for quick fixes. :)

42. Can't wait to try these!!

43. Oh Carolyn! these look terrific! And they are low carb as well??? GREAT! Great pictures too, they really make me hungry!!!

44. Eating Deliciously says:

I love this idea. Wish I had some right now!

45. Kim - Liv Life says:

Oh, Carolyn….. you have won my heart!! I simply, really, really want some of these gorgeous creations. What a way to start my day! And low carb would make me not feel guilty…. You are quite the match maker!!!

46. Wow, these look amazing!! Peanut butter and chocolate are one of the best combinations of food, then to throw a donut in the mix makes it just heaven. This is making me want to go out and buy a donut pan… I wonder if they can be altered to be made without one??

47. I'd love to get myself a donut pan (on top of my other kitchen gadgets), but I just haven't come across any over here. Not only are your donuts healthier than regular fried ones, they also look more delicious with that luscious peanut butter glazing!

48. Claudie says:

I'm looking at those donuts, and that tempting glaze is already enough for me to wanna have at least a couple! I can't taste them, but they sure look delicious and the kind I'd love to try and make!

49. Anonymous says:

I wonder if these could be frozen (sans glaze)?

50. Carolyn says:

Hi Anonymous! You DEFINITELY could freeze them without the glaze. I freeze all of my muffins and cakes and such, when I know I am not going to use them in good time. Although I did not freeze these ones in particular, I am quite certain they would hold up well.

51. Kelly – glad you found and like the blog! GD stinks and it stinks even more when it sticks around afterwards, but I've found that there are so many great ways to cook and bake low-carb. I really can't say I mind much anymore!

52. You made chocolate donuts with peanut butter glaze!!! Sorry, it was kind of obvious you did that, but I am still in shock! And you did it healthy – oh man, you are my hero!

53. Kate@Diethood says:

Carolyn, these sound so yummy-good! LOVE the PB glaze!!

54. I can't see how you COULDN'T love these donuts! I was just talking to a friend yesterday about my birthday cake…. I told her I want it to be peanut butter and chocolate! :D

55. Cassie @ Bake Your Day says:

I have a pretty big obsession with peanut butter too but when you combine it with chocolate, the obsession gets worse! Awesome recipe, Carolyn, can't wait to try that glaze!

56. Maggie @ Vittles and Bits says:

These look amazing!! Love that they are low carb too. Who could resist chocolate & peanut butter?

57. Maggie @MaggieCooks says:

Delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yummy! I want to sink my teeth into it :)

58. Wilde in the Kitchen says:

These donuts combine my favorite things too! I've been seeing some delicious donut recipes using the donut pans, I've got to get one!

yummy looking donuts I haven't had with peanut butter glaze on donuts before lovely colour on it

60. I think I need to purchase the donut pan. They look so yummy.

61. Another fabulous use for my beloved peanut flour, thank you!

62. Excuse my language, but holy crap girl! these look awesome! The only donut I really love is the once every few years chocolate glazed one, but a peanut butter topping. You have hit it out of the park for this one!

63. Matthew "mmwine" Horbund says:

Love it! Love that you find alternative dessert options for people with gluten or other restrictions

64. Okay, so I made these this morning and the donuts mix was as thick as cookie dough. I even added another 1/4 almond milk to try to thin it out. I scooped a ball of dough and rolled it out into a long strip and layed into the donut pan. Only got 6 donuts out of the mix. They are good but dense and slightly dry. I double check the ingredients when mixing and again afterwards to see if I missed anything. The peanut butter glaze was much thinner than you mentioned. Mine was pourable and pooled around the donut on the plate. The cream I replaced with coconut milk since I am dairy-free. It was awesome, and will definitley keep the glaze recipe on hand. If I can thicken it might try to pair with a low carb cheese cracker when/if I can have dairy again. If you have any observations about the inconsistencies I would appreciate it. <3
    sdkorczynski@sbcglobal.net

65. Saw your comment and wanted to respond. There are a number of different varieties of peanut flour and I think that may be the issue here. Defatted peanut flour soaks up a LOT more liquid than non-defatted so I am guessing you were using defatted. You were right to add more liquid, but you should keep on adding liquid until it becomes more of a batter-like consistency. I've also recently discovered that donut pans are not consistent in size. Mine is made by Fox Run, but the Wilton ones appear to be larger.

Not sure what happened there with the glaze, mine was definitely not pourable like that and didn't pool. I think it may be the coconut milk at issue here. Cream tends to thicken things up more. Next time, I'd suggest adding less coconut or almond milk and only adding more as you see the need to thin it out a bit.

66. Amazing! Love your blog :)

67. These look so good. I would really like to experience the texture that you discribe with non-defatted peanut flour and having a hard time finding it online. Everything is defatted. Do you grind your own or where do you get it.

68. Hi Twirl! I got mine at Nuts Online. Here's the direct link…

69. audaciouslylovinglife says:

Hi –
    I was wondering if you could use coconut or almond flour and almond butter in place of the peanut flour/butter? Would the amounts be the same?

70. Hi there. I think you could definitely use almond flour, since my recipe was with non-defatted peanut flour. If you use coconut flour, it will soak up a lot more eggs and liquid.

71. Hi! Made these and they were so good! I added natures hollow jelly on top soviet was a peanut butter ‘n jelly donut! Even hubby at one so thank you! Quick question for storage as they are filling, do you refrigerate leftovers? Thanks again!

72. Oh. My. God. I just made these, and I am in heaven. They are indistinguishable from the real deal. So rich, so chocolaty and so peanutilicious. The recipe made 12 for me, they are small but came to only 2.9 net carbs with the glaze! I ate two and don’t feel a bit of guilt. I had to sub hazelnut extract for vanilla, which is probably even more delicious than the original! Think I’ll probably use a cream cheese icing on half. I can’t wait to pass off this recipe as a full on carby/sugary one at the next work potluck! Thanks a zillion!!

73. Hey Carolyn! In the absence if a doughnut pan, could these be deep fried? Or just shaped and baked on a cookie sheet?

• I don’t think they’d hold together well enough to be deep fried. Can I suggest making them in a muffin pan?

74. I can’t find peanut flour locally so went online to buy it. None of them specify defatted or non-defatted or fat content at all. Is there a certain kind those of you that buy it like to use specifically? And is there a difference in the light vs. dark roast? Thanks for any help.

• Check Bird’s Mill (I think that’s what it’s called), they specify exactly which roast and % fat. And you can usually buy it through Amazon too. In my experience, the main difference between light and dark roasts is flavour…the darker, the more peanutty.

75. Chocolate doughnuts covered in peanut butter icing?? Count me in!!

76. Catherine H. says:

I made these last Friday for my book club, and they were a great success. I also gave some to two men doing some work at our house (painting, etc.), neither of whom are low-carbers, and they both loved them. The only thing I changed is that I used almond flour (no peanut flour in the house currently). After filling my six-donut pan with the original batter, I ended up adding another 1/2 cup of milk to the batter, since it was getting very thick as it sat on the counter. I got twenty donuts out of this recipe all told, some slightly smaller than others. The glaze was the perfect touch, and I would not recommend skipping it.

77. These were great!

78. What % fat and roast did you use? I have Byrd Mill 12% fat Light Roast, 12% fat dark, & 28% fat light peanut flour. It’s all a little confusing! The donuts look wonderful!

79. Made these tonight using Nuts.com full fat peanut flour and they were quite awesome. My first attempt at donuts. I swapped chocolate glaze for the peanut because I just needed a chocolate haze. My husband compared them to Dunkin Donuts. Truly Carolyn these rock!!!!!

80. Rachel Horowitz says:

Carolyn,

I’m going to ask a rather obvious question, just to double check. If a peanut flour doesn’t specify that it’s de-fatted, then it’s not defatted, right?
    I’ve never cooked/baked with peanut flour, but I was already planning on putting through a nuts.com order, as I’m so not happy with baking results with Bob’s Red Mill Almond Flour. I guess I’ll add peanut flour to the order, now. I’m getting hazelnut flour, too … now I just need to push myself to bake more.

I’ve a question about the almond milk. What liquid can I use instead? I’ve baked & cooked with almond milk twice, but I didn’t love it, and didn’t use much of the almond milk, so most of it went to waste. I’m following the Atkins diet … could I just use half & half? I’ll use almond milk if that’s how the recipe would best work, though. I just need to find it in a quart, instead of a half gallon …

• Carolyn says:

I don’t know what nuts.com carries, but if it’s 12% fat, then it’s defatted and if it’s 28% fat, then it’s not. I hope that helps some! To replace almond milk, you could use half of the half and half and half water. Almond milk is thinner than half and half so I just want you to get the right consistency.

81. I just pulled these out of the oven and couldn’t wait to try them. I had to make a couple of modifications due to a lack of ingredients. First, I used almond flour because I cannot get peanut flour in my area. Second, I used heavy cream instead of the almond milk. Third, I did not have any stevia extract, so I just used more Splenda. Last, I used a muffin as I do not have a donut pan.
    The muffins turned out well. They are a little grainy in texture, I think due to the almond flour and not adding water with the heavy cream.
    The taste, though, is wonderful. Very chocolaty and great with a cup of coffee. Now I just need to find a good low-carb substitute for milk….
    Thank you so much for sharing your recipes. I will definitely be making these on a regular basis.

82. I just pulled these out of the oven and couldn’t wait to try them. I had to make a couple of modifications due to a lack of ingredients. First, I used almond flour because I cannot get peanut flour in my area. Second, I used heavy cream instead of the almond milk. Third, I did not have any stevia extract, so I just used more Splenda. Last, I used a muffin tin as I do not have a donut pan.