Mini Rum Pecan Cupcakes (Low Carb and Gluten-Free)

So, I have probably bragged enough about how my husband surprised me a few weeks ago with a night away from the kids.  I won’t keep blathering on about it, except to tell you how this recipe was inspired by that little interlude.  We had dinner at a wonderful place in Boston’s South End called Darryl’s Corner Bar and Kitchen.  Not to make my husband sound cheap or anything, but we were actually using a gift card I’d won quite some time ago at a Boston Food Bloggers event.  I know he would have sprung for a fancy dinner, but I’d had the card for more than a year and we’d never used it.  We simply don’t get a chance to get into the city for date nights very often and this seemed like the perfect opportunity.  We’d heard many good things about the place too, and it lived up to every expectation, so I thought it deserved a shout out on my blog.

Darryl’s specializes in “soul food”, that wonderful comfort-food based Southern cuisine.  Plenty of barbecue on the menu, as well as fried catfish and that very popular combination, chicken and waffles.  We had some great cocktails and started off with the fried catfish strips.  Then I moved on to the BBQ ribs while my husband chose the chicken and waffles.  Nothing disappointed.  Nothing.  Not the food, not the drinks, not the atmosphere.  It was all delicious and a lot of fun.  And since it was such a special occasion, we finished off the evening with a little dessert, the intention being that I would have one little taste and my husband would finish it off.  I let my husband do the choosing and he ended up picking a Rum Pecan Cupcake that was one of the specials of the day.  Except that it wasn’t a single cupcake, but instead four mini cupcakes.  Perfect for me to have one of my own without sending my blood sugars out of control.

If the choice had been mine, I probably wouldn’t have picked this dessert.  But I am glad the choice wasn’t mine, because it was phenomenal.  It was soft and lovely, and offset by a tangy-sweet cream cheese frosting.  The rum flavour came through nicely and I loved the crunch of the pecans.  I knew almost instantly that I wanted to try to recreate this one as a low carb treat.  I figured it couldn’t be that hard.  I would use one of my basic cake recipes, add some chopped, toasted pecans and maybe some pecan meal as well.  In place of some of the liquid, I would add dark rum.  And cream cheese frosting, well that’s a low carb staple so no worries there.

The Results:  First, I will tell you that the flavour was spot-on.  The rum came through without being overpowering and the crunch of the pecans was just right.  And cream cheese frosting is always a favourite with me.  But I will also say that the texture, while quite good, wasn’t quite on par with the cupcakes from Darryl’s.  It is hard to achieve finely textured cakes with nut flours, and I think it might have been the pecan meal.  I might have been better off going with just commercially-ground almond flour to get a finer crumb, as I have managed to achieve in some of my cakes.  Still, these were really quite good.  To my surprise, even my kids really like them, nuts and all.  They tend to resist nuts of all kinds except peanuts, but these got two thumbs up.

It also ended up making a funny amount of mini cupcakes.  It would probably have been perfect for 12 regular sized cupcakes, but mini cupcake pans often mean left over batter.  So in the end, it made 28.  Not that I am complaining, more of these is always fine by me!  If you want to make these into full -sized cupcakes, they will be great but you will need to adjust the baking time accordingly.

Mini Rum Pecan Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

1/2 cup chopped, toasted pecans

Frosting:
8 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup powdered erythritol
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

For the cupcakes, preheat oven to 325F and line a mini-cupcake pan with paper liners (you may have left over batter and have to do two batches.  I got 28 mini-cupcakes).

In a medium bowl whisk together almond flour, ground pecans, whey protein, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  In a large bowl, beat butter and erythritol until well combined.   Beat in eggs one at a time, then beat in vanilla and stevia extract, scraping down beaters and sides of bowl as needed.

Add half of the almond mixture and beat well, then add rum and almond milk.  Add remaining almond flour mixture and beat until well combined.  Stir in chopped pecans.  Divide batter among prepared cupcake tins and bake 15 to 18 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let cool in pan.

For the frosting, beat cream cheese, powdered erythritol, whipping cream, vanilla extract and stevia extract together until smooth.  Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.

Makes 28.  Each mini cupcake has a total of 2 g of carbs and .7 g of fiber.  Total NET CARBS = 1.3 g.  But you WILL want to eat more than one at a time!!!

Comments

1. This looks delicious!!

2. Can I just say here that soul food and southern comfort food would be my choice over "fancy" any day of the week? And I know that my husband and I would have a much nicer time at a place like that. Sounds fabulous – as do these cupcakes! Ooh have been baking with rum more often and am loving it. These cupcakes would be a huge hit here!

3. spiffycookie says:

So glad you got a night out! Love these cupcakes.

4. Soul Food is the best…sounds like a wonderful evening :) And these little darlings look scrumptious!

5. Looks great. I think you are right – all almond flour might have been better for the cupcake. Your meal the other day sounded perfect! Good to hear you are so happy these days. ((HUGS))

6. I'm loving the rum and pecans in this! Two of my favorite ingredients wrapped up in a yummy cupcake!

7. It sounds as though this restaurant is well-worth a visit the next time I'm in Boston. In the meantime, I'll have to try these cupcakes. Rum and pecans? Yum!

8. These sound incredible! I have a hard time getting the same texture as a bakery, and I don't have to use special flours! Must be their industrial machines :)

9. How cute are these?! They look so delicious and I love that they're low carb and gluten-free! :)

10. That sounds like an amazing meal & night! Your cupcakes are super cute with the pecan atop the cream cheese frosting. Looks & sounds delish!

11. I think you should brag as much as you want. Sounds like a great time and a very special night. The cupcakes look delicious. I love using alcohol to bake but you have to be careful…too much is never good.

12. happywhennothungry says:

These look delicious and I just love cream cheese frosting!

13. These sound delightful! :) Rum and pecan, and all in a mini cupcake? :) Yes please!

14. Great looking cupcakes and I'm intrigued by the frosting recipe, no bs spikes? We had date night last week as it was my birthday, so weird to be away from the kids but nice at the same time :)
    Take care..

15. Every word in the title of this recipe makes me happy! The flavors, baking with rum, anything mini…yes, please!

16. Holy yum! Love that you used rum and pecan! These gf mini treats look great C! :)

17. These are just gorgeous, Carolyn! And they sound delectable, too….

18. You can brag all you like :) Especially if cupcakes like these are the result!

19. Adorably cute…I have a surprise night away coming up too…can't wait to find out where we're going! :D Theresa

20. Yum! Your cupcakes look fantastic! They actually made me crave rum and raisin ice cream haha.

21. Do you ever use coconut flour in baking? It is low carb and gives a cake-like texture that is so hard to get with nut meals. In a recipe, I will substitute 1/2 cup coconut flour for each 1 cup of regular flour (so, halve it), and double the eggs. It works out well. I make a good chocolate sour cream cupcake with it that is pretty low carb: http://getfitkatie.blogspot.com/2012/01/lchf-choc

22. Aw! That's so sweet! I'm glad you guys had a great night out!

23. food_dreamer says:

Oooo, yay, Theresa. Enjoy it!

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

24. Thank-you so much for your wonderful healthy treats and gorgeous photos! In the future, I'd love to see more pics of the inside of the finished product, for example a doughnut with a bite out of it, or a muffin split in half. I'm always curious about the crumb, and it's hard to tell from the outside. Can't wait to see what you do next!

*special request* I'm from Vancouver BC originally and grew up eating Nanaimo bars. Did you have them where you grew up? Ever thought of cloning them?

25. Choc Chip Uru says:

These cupcakes look extremely gorgeous – I am simply dying over how beautiful they look
    And the taste must be mind blowing :D

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: Layered Double Nutella Cheesecake Brownies

26. Congrats on the Top 9 today!

27. justangiesrecipes says:

You do have something to brag about! These cupcakes look fabulous!

28. You do have something to brag about! These cupcakes look fabulous.

29. These look right up my alley! Congrats on making the Top 9 today!

30. Does anyone know how many calories are in these cupcakes?

31. No way, these are the cutest little things! Lovely photography as well. Can't wait to make these!
    xo http://allykayler.blogspot.com/

32. food_dreamer says:

Hi Denise,

No, I never calculate calories, it is irrelevant to me and to most low carb dieters. But you could easily enter the ingredients into a software program and get the results.

Thanks,

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

33. Oh this looks so good!!!!! Congrats on the top 9

34. This is so amazing. I love anything with pecan. SO happy you guys got some time away. We have not done that in forever. When the kids move out we are going to look at each other and wonder who the other person is. Lol!

35. theharriedcook says:

You did a fantastic job recreating these cupcakes! They look and sound really lovely! We love cupcakes that have nuts and these would be very popular around here! :) Beautiful pictures, too, Carolyn! Thanks for sharing :)

36. food_dreamer says:

Hi Holly,

I am from Canada and grew up eating Nanaimo bars. They were my favourite as a kid and I have already made them over…twice. Once as bars and once as a tart. Both were really good and I am pretty pleased, but I wish I didn't have to use sugar-free jello for the filling. I may try to rework that, but I have to think how.

Carolyn

Blog: All Day I Dream About Food
    URL: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com

37. 1.3 net carbs per! thats awesome, will have to try these for sure

38. How’d I miss these last year, Carolyn? Just saw the pin on Pinterest. MUST try these!

1. [...] All Day I Dream About Food This entry was posted in Christmas Cupcakes, Gluten Free Cupcakes, Mini Cupcakes, Seasonal [...]

2. […] Pecan Rum Cupcake Recipe | All Day I Dream About Food. […]