A dairy-free, low carb white pizza with the rich flavour of caramelized onions. Try this at your next tailgating event, it’s a touchdown! This post is sponsored by Silk.
You have to admit, a low carb diet can often be pretty heavy on the meat. And if you are at all like me, sometimes you just want a big break from the heaviness of meat-centered meals. Of course, you can always go the salad route, which is all very good and healthy, but that can leave your tummy grumbling a little later on. It tastes great and feels very virtuous but it can be less than satisfying. So the temptation becomes to fill up on dairy-based foods to feel satiated. But what happens if you are also dairy-free?
With football tailgating season in full swing, food really tends to center around meaty and cheesy entrees and appetizers. So when Silk challenged me to come up with a tailgating recipe that was both meat-free and dairy-free, I was stymied at first. It’s like the beginning of a bad joke…how do you confuse a low carb recipe developer? I considered some easier appetizers and dairy-free dips, and those would have been delicious. But I like a challenge and so I went for the holy grail of tailgating food: pizza. Who doesn’t love a good pizza while sitting down to watch the game?
I’m a huge fan of the wonderfully creamy Silk Cashewmilk, so I knew I wanted to incorporate it into both the crust and the dairy free sauce. Almond flour makes a great biscuit-like crust that takes on its own toasted, delicious flavour when making pizza. I thought it would be really interesting to create a white pizza that had no cheese or cream in it. The cashew milk has just the right neutral flavour for a good, creamy, dairy-free sauce. Caramelized onions and some herbs would be the perfect way to top it all off.
I have to confess, I don’t really do tailgating season. I don’t really do football as a whole. Oh sure, I tag along and I cheer for a team and I get into it for appearances sake. But let’s be honest, I am really just in it for the food. Always have been, always well be. And this pizza was a great way to break the meat and cheese tailgating cycle. It was delicious! I’d wager a guess that if I served it to friends and never told them it was completely dairy-free, they’d never be the wiser.
Want to find Silk Products in your area? Check out their Store Locator.
Silk invites you to “Sideline Meat”. Check out the recipes and enter the giveaway at Silk.
Paleo Caramelized Onion White Pizza – Dairy-Free
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- 1 cup white onion thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
White Pizza Sauce:
- ¼ cup mayonnaise (I used avocado oil mayo)
- 2 tablespoon Silk unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional, but gives a great cheesy flavour to dairy-free foods)
- 2 cups almond flour
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon pizza or Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg whites (you can also use ¾ cup liquid egg whites)
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- ¼ cup Silk unsweetened cashew milk
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until onions are golden and soft, about 15 more minutes.
White Pizza Sauce:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayo, cashew milk, and nutritional yeast until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, garlic powder, pizza seasoning, and salt. Stir in egg whites, avocado oil, and cashew milk until dough comes together (it will still be quite sticky).
- Spray a large piece of parchment with coconut oil spray or brush with oil. Turn half of the dough out onto the parchment and pat into a disk. Cover with another piece of parchment or waxed paper and roll out to a circle about 10 inches in diameter. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Set parchment paper with dough onto a pizza stone or large baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, or until firm to the touch and golden brown around the edges.
- Remove from oven and spread with white pizza sauce, then sprinkle with caramelized onions. Bake 7 minutes, until toppings are warmed through.
- Remove and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and chopped fresh basil, if desired.
Total fat: 30.93g
Calories from fat: 278
Total dietary fiber: 5.88g
This conversation is sponsored by Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.