Yes, you can enjoy a delicious White Hot Chocolate without all the sugar! It’s easy to make this delicious keto hot beverage any time the craving strikes. This post is sponsored by ChocZero
Hey, are you cold? Because I am freezing. And I am so over this winter!
Who’s with me? Let’s all go whip up some Keto White Hot Chocolate and curl up with a good book. That’s really the only way to survive this never ending winter, as far as I can tell.
These creamy, rich drinks are super easy to make and they have less than 2g net carbs. Compare that to the shocking 41g of carbs in a Starbucks White Hot Chocolate! Plus these frothy keto beverages have 14g of protein to keep you satisfied. What a great low carb way to ward off the winter chill.
If white chocolate isn’t your thing, be sure to check out my Sugar Free Hot Chocolate recipe!
Sugar Free White Chocolate
I first published a recipe for white chocolate mochas in 2019. At that time, there was no decent keto-friendly white chocolate and I used cocoa butter to mimic the flavor. But I always felt it left something to be desired.
And then, as if on cue, several brands came out with white chocolate chips very soon thereafter. I’ve been meaning to re-vamp this recipe ever since! Why did I wait so long? I really don’t know.
I love my ChocZero white chips. They’re so creamy and flavorful, and I find a little goes a long way. I added just 1 ounce for this recipe and I thought it was perfect. Not too sweet, and so creamy and delicious.
You can certainly add more if you adore a rich white chocolate flavor. Do keep in mind that the carb count will increase, but so will the fiber. So your net carb count will still be a significant improvement over conventional white hot chocolate!
I also couldn’t help but garnish the tops with the adorable white chocolate hearts they came out with for Valentine’s Day.
Ingredients you need
- White chocolate: I love the ChocZero white chips, as they melt really nicely into the hot liquids. And ChocZero will give you 10% off your entire order with code FOODDREAMER.
- Collagen: This is an optional ingredient, but collagen protein helps make the white hot chocolate thicker, richer, and more frothy. Plus it adds protein and nutrition. You could also use vanilla collagen and leave out the additional vanilla extract.
- Powdered sweetener: If the collagen you use is sweetened, you may want to cut down on this a bit.
- Hemp milk: You could easily use almond, macadamia, or cashew milk here. But I used unsweetened hemp milk to make these nut-free. It also has zero carbs per serving.
- Heavy cream: A little heavy cream makes the beverage richer and thicker. You could use coconut milk to be dairy-free.
- Vanilla extract: Skip this if the milk or collagen is vanilla flavored.
Step by Step Directions
1. Use a blender: Place the chocolate chips, collagen, and sweetener in a blender. This will help combine the ingredients with the hot milk more easily.
2. Heat the milk: In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the hemp milk, heavy cream, and vanilla extract until bubbling around the edges.
3. Blend: Pour the hot milk mixture into the blender and blend on high combine.
4. Re-warm: Pour the ingredients back into the pan and re-warm to your preferred temperature. Pour into two mugs and top with lightly sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
Keto white chocolate still has carbs so I like to keep it to a minimum in this recipe. I find the flavor and sweetness spot on for me. If you find you want more, you can just add more white chocolate chips.
White chocolate is finicky and keto white chocolate is even more so. Blending it all up helps melt the chocolate quickly and disperse it throughout the white hot chocolate. It also makes the drink more frothy and creamy. But it does cool off a bit so I recommend adding back into the pan to re-warm it to a temperature you like.
But you can do it all on the stove top if you prefer. I recommend heating the milk and cream first, then quickly whisking in the white chocolate, collagen, and sweetener. Keep whisking continuously until frothy or use a hand-held frother.
Frequently Asked Questions
Conventional white chocolate is full of sugar and carbs and should be avoided on a keto diet. But there are several brands that now make good keto-friendly white chocolate, including ChocZero and Lily’s.
This keto white hot chocolate recipe consists of low carb milk, heavy cream, sugar free white chocolate, and sweetener. You can also add some collagen peptides to make it thicker and frothier.
This recipe makes 2 servings of about 1 ¼ cups each. Each serving has 8g of carbs and 6.1g of fiber, which means they have 1.9g net carbs.
Keto White Hot Chocolate
- Place the white chocolate, collagen, sweetener, and salt in a blender.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the hemp milk, cream, and vanilla. Bring to just a boil.
- Pour the hot milk mixture into the blender and blend on high combine. Then pour the mixture back into the pan and re-warm to your preferred temperature.
- Divide between two mugs and top with lightly sweetened whipped cream, if desired.