All the flavours of the classic spinach artichoke dip in a delicious meatless low carb breakfast casserole. And it’s all baked in your crockpot! Can also be made dairy-free.
April is Earth Month and April 22nd is Earth Day and we are all supposed to be trying to be more conscious of our impact on this wonderful planet of ours. Of course, really we should be conscious of this at all times but that’s far easier said than done. Our busy lives often mean that our thoughts about the environment get pushed to the back burner. That’s not to say that we aren’t thinking about it at all, but it can be overwhelming to think about on top of everything else we need to consider in the day-to-day. Hence the need for a dedicated time when we put on our collective thinking-caps and focus on the Earth and the environment.
It’s also good to remember that the changes we make to reduce our impact don’t have to be huge or all-consuming. Little things like buying from certain brands that are more environmentally conscious can make a big difference. Our purchasing power sends a big message that we want change, that we support companies that want to reduce their own impact on our fragile planet.
To drive awareness for Earth Month, Safeway is partnering with some great brands for “Every Cart Counts”. This campaign is designed to encourage consumers to make choices that are both healthier and better for the environment. Participating brands include Earthbound Farm, Silk, So Delicious, Simply Pure, Vega and Horizon. And during all of April, Safeway will actually be buying some customers their carts of groceries when they contain one or more participating products. A win-win program, I would say!
For my part, I headed to my local Safeway and stocked up on a few items to make a delicious and healthy (and dairy-free, if you want it to be!) breakfast casserole. Spinach and artichoke is such a classic combination and I thought it might make a delicious egg casserole dish. I also thought it would great to make it a slow cooker recipe. Heating up a whole oven for one dish can also have its impact on the environment, so cutting corners that way can’t but help.
- 8 large eggs
- 3/4 cup Silk unsweetened almond milk
- 5 ounces EarthBound Farms fresh spinach chopped
- 6 ounces artichoke hearts chopped (thaw and drain if frozen, drain if marinated)
- 1 cup grated parmesan (or nutritional yeast or your favourite dairy-free shredded cheese for a dairy-free version)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Grease the inside of a 6-quart slow cooker.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, almond milk, spinach, artichoke hearts, 1/2 cup of the parmesan or nutritional yeast, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Add coconut flour and baking powder and whisk until very well combined.
- Spread mixture into slow cooker and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup parmesan over. Cook on high for 2 to 3 hours or low for 4 to 6 hours.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil.
Serves 10. Each serving has 3.79 g NET CARBS.
Food energy: 141kcal
Total fat: 7.10g
Calories from fat: 63
Total dietary fiber: 3.97g
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons Safeway. The opinions and text are all mine.