Rum-Laced Toasted Coconut Ice Cream (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

Did you know that July is National Ice Cream Month? Yeah, me neither, until I saw it recently on several other blogs. As always, I am in the dark about these things. There needs to be a centralized database of food holidays and celebrations for us poor, unaware bloggers. It does make a lot of sense for July to be Ice Cream Month – I know I certainly eat my weight in ice cream during the hot months of July and August. But I am not presenting you with a recipe for ice cream. And I am sharing this recipe on Mad About Macarons as a guest post as well

If you haven’t heard about Mad About Macarons, I don’t know what rock you’ve been hiding under. It is the name of both a cookbook and a blog written by Jill Colonna, a Scot living in France, having married a Frenchman (by the name of Antoine…how perfect is that???). She has tackled the world of french cooking and mastered the art of that finicky French pastry, le macaron. And written a whole cookbook devoted to them, no less!

When Jill asked if I would guest post on her blog, I was so thrilled and flattered. Not only is she an amazing cook, she is a delightful person and is incredibly supportive of her fellow bloggers, despite the fact that she could probably outcook and outbake us all. And she has an adorable Scottish accent. Well, I don’t really know about that, but she did use the term “Och” in an email to me so that counts, right? She asked that I create something based on egg yolks. Since it is National Ice Cream Month on this side of the Atlantic, it is only fitting that I created an ice cream recipe. Actually, that is purely coincidental, as I knew nothing about National Ice Cream Month until a few days ago. But I can pretend I was all uber-organized and on top of things, can’t I?

So please head on over to Mad About Macarons and check out Jill’s blog!

Rum and Toasted Coconut Ice Cream
2 cups cream, whole milk or a combination thereof
½ cup Stevia In The Raw* (or sugar, honey, splenda)
4 large egg yolks
1 cup full-fat coconut milk
½ cup unsweetened coconut, lightly toasted
3 tablespoons dark rum
Set a medium bowl in a large container of ice water.
In large saucepan over medium heat, combine cream and sweetener and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches 170F on a candy or instant-read thermometer.
Meanwhile, beat egg yolks until light yellow and thickened, about 3 minutes.  Very slowly whisk ½ cup of the hot cream into the yolks to temper them, then gradually whisk tempered yolks back into the saucepan.  Continue to cook mixture, stirring continuously, until it reaches 175F to 180F.  Do not let it come to a boil.
Stir in the coconut milk and toasted coconut.  Pour mixture into the bowl set into the ice bath and let cool 10 minutes, then cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill until cold, at least 3 hours.
Stir in rum and pour into canister of an ice cream maker.  Churn according to manufacturer’s directions until thickened and creamy, about the consistency of soft serve ice cream.  Transfer to an air-tight container and press plastic wrap flush to the surface.  Chill until firm but not rock hard, about 2 more hours.   Serve immediately.
If you will be freezing the leftovers for later use, be sure to let them warm in the fridge or on your counter to make them soft enough to serve.
*Stevia In The Raw is a stevia blend that is meant to be measured cup for cup like sugar.  Pure stevia extract (liquid or powder) is much stronger and a little goes a long way, so sweeten to taste.

Comments

1. Jill Colonna says:

Carolyn, thank you ever so much for such a wonderful guest post and for your kind words. Och, you've got me laughing and blushing in one. You've done it again: pulled off yet another fantastic low-carb/gluten free recipe. This will have to be the creation of a national ice cream month here in France, too! Fantastic. Merci, my friend. J xo

2. Adora's Box says:

We were just discussing this food holiday thing last night. I never get to know beforehand and often hear about it on the day itself when it's too late to join in. Lovely ice cream and lovely sundae glasses. I'm off to Jill's now!

3. Oh, what an enticing photo! I like those green and red ice cream cup and coconut ice cream also….Must check out your guest post~

4. Parsley Sage says:

Oh boy! I love it when my favorite foodies connect :) It's like a magical food tour

Oh, and I'm a slurper with my spaghetti and I pretty much lost all slurping capabilities when I got my tongue ring. I'd slurp and it would get all tangled. Not cool…

5. LOVE this! YUM! Buzzed on both blogs~

6. Congrats on the guest post!!! Jill has such a great site, what an honor for you!!! I didn't know about national ice cream month either, until I read it on a few blogs either, so it isn't just you!

7. Maris (In Good Taste) says:

Your photos are amazing!

8. Claudie says:

Carolyn, there actually are a few such databases :) (I always forget to check them out though and am pretty much always unaware of those holidays.) I quickly googled up one for you: http://www.thenibble.com/fun/more/facts/holidays-july.asp
    I remember I had found a better one, but I can't find it right now — if I do, I'll make sure to share it with you :)
    As for your ice cream: it looks delicious!

9. Tiffany says:

Heading over now! But I wanted to leave a comment here too! I didn't know it was National Ice Cream month until I saw it on the blogs too! LOVE these flavors!!!

10. Magic of Spice says:

Looks fantastic and love those cups…will stop over :)

11. Oh my the ice cream looks so creamy delicious.

Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

12. Cassie @ Bake Your Day says:

I love national ice cream month because I love seeing all of these fabulous ice cream recipes! The toasted coconut sounds dreamy!

13. Those bowls are so cheerful and fun! This ice cream sounds perfect, you had me at rum, LOL!!
    Hugs, Terra

14. The Harried Cook says:

I LOVE Jill's site and I am very happy to see you're guest posting there, because I love your blog too! :) This ice cream sounds delightful… rum & coconut! Yummy :) Will go check out your guest post now…

15. YUM! That sounds so good. I love boozy desserts :)

16. Maureen says:

I saw your post over at Jill's and it's a keeper! Delicious looking.

17. createwithmom says:

colourful presentation Carolyn ice cream with coconut milk looks wonderful

18. Hester Casey @ Alchemy in the Kitchen says:

Great guest post, Carolyn and Jill. What a great combination! I agree with Jill on the need for National Ice Cream month to be extended to Europe. Love that your ice cream is first of all so delicious and secondly, so healthy! This is a great excuse to eat two helpings!

19. Cookin' Canuck says:

These flavors are so good together and I'm certain this ice cream would become an instant favorite in our house.

20. Kate@Diethood says:

Carolyn, I am heading over there now… the title alone has my mouth fillin' up!

21. This is very very delicious looking..what a great flavor Carolyn!
    I love your colorful serving cups..so adorable!

22. resistantnikki says:

Great guest post on Mad About Macarons! Way to spread Stevia joy! :) I am bringing this recipe with me on vacation.

23. briarrose says:

Rum and coconut…..I do believe I've died and gone to ice cream heaven. Heading over to check this out. :)

24. briarrose says:

25. As soon as I saw 'rum', I had to run over and check out that guest post! Loved it and will definitely be saving this recipe for the next time I bust out my ice cream maker =)

26. I love coconut everything & the rum makes this ice cream super!

27. Happy When Not Hungry says:

This ice cream looks amazing! Love your ice cream bowls too!

28. scratch-made wife says:

We had ice cream for dinner the other night. But it wasn't homemade and not nearly as good as this dish you whipped up, I'm sure. But when it's 97 degrees out sometimes you just have to have ice cream, don't you? Heading to Mad About Macarons now. Thanks for a great idea!

29. I need my spoon. Now. :D

30. I love all things coconut! Especially ice cream. :)

31. Emily @ Life on Food says:

Coconut Ice cream is my absolute favorite flavor. Cannot wait to go over and grab the recipe!

32. It looks wonderful! I can't seem to find it, though. Is the link broken? I hope you have a new one because I really want to try it :)

33. Hi Sarah,

Not sure what happened to the link on Jill's site, but if you want, I can just send you the recipe. You can email me at carketch29 (at) yahoo (dot) com.

34. Carolyn,
    Thank you! :)

35. Making this right now! The result pre-churn tasted amazing, I’m sure it will be even better at temp. I actually did 1/3 cup Erythritol and some liquid sucralose until it was sweet enough, but it’s not a crucial matter :)